1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Best way to test API?

Discussion in 'SteamRep API Discussion' started by MikesTooLz, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1019286
    I making something that checks the API for scammers. What would be the best way to test this? I do not have an account marked as scammer. Would I be able to create a steam account and then request to have it marked as scammer for testing purpose's?
  2. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    You could simply find an account that's already marked and use that. An easy way would be to go into the Archived Reports section and find an accepted report, then just use the accused's account.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    I dont speak officially, but i've never heard of SR here marking an account for testing purposes. Someone actually asked a question like this before and I remember they said absolutely not on that, you could probably use the search function to find the thread if you want.
  4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz New User

Steam:
    I wanted to test if the accounts are detected as soon as they join my server, how can I do that with someone elses account that I have no control over. I tried for a few weeks trying to contact accounts that were recently banned to see if anyone would willingly try joining my server to help me out and test the plugin. I even offered to send them a few items in exchange for the few minutes of their time it would take. 9.9 out of 10 never responded and the ones that did respond actually ended up trying to scam me (they are scammers after all).

Luckily a just by chance a random person with an account marked as scammer on steamrep tried joining my server and I was able to verify that my plugin works and instantly banned them from the server.

They are opening up API's for developers but how do they expect us to test things? I reached out to try and get things tested proberly and the right way without causing any harm or ill effects and the response I got from admins was that no they would not mark an account as scammer for testing purposes, I would rather have to use the account an actually scam someone with it to get it marked as scammer. (nice going guys, thanks for keeping everyone safe!)
  5. baker249

baker249 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:423006701
    would be to go into the Archived Reports section and find an accepted report
  6. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Maybe you'd prefer if there was no API at all? It's not a providers responsibility to provide you with ways to test, that's your job entirely.
  7. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Sounds to me like you just don't want to put any effort into it then, that's not their problem, that's yours, and fyi they do a fine job keeping everyone safe (i hope that isn't sarcasm).
  8. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I don't personally think a method of testing the API on one's own application is too unreasonable of a request, especially in the context it's being asked, so I'd like to ask those replying not to jump to conclusions about the OP's laziness. They're not even the first to ask this question, but we've usually been asked by PM so you may not have seen it.

As it stands, we have no formal way to "test" ban from the API as far as I know. We generally don't tag profiles on request for stuff like this, because that would weaken the credibility of what a BANNED tag means. Scammers would use that "it's just testing" as an argument for their legitimacy, and most victims aren't checking in that level of detail, after all. For the same reason, we don't have any kind of "test" status you can apply to your profile. If possible, as a workaround I would suggest temporarily coding something for your alt account, to treat it as if it were a different Steam ID, for the purpose of testing that specific functionality.

I have forwarded this thread to our developer to see if he will chime in, but until/unless that happens, this will be the official answer. I'm sorry we couldn't give you something more helpful, but hopefully my explanation above helps you at least understand why.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  9. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz New User

Steam:
    LOL they call no possible way of properly testing it being lazie? if you don't know wtf your talking about then don't respond!

and no its not sarcasm, Admins want me to scam someone to get an accont marked as scammer... so what one of you is volunteer to be scammed?
  10. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz New User

Steam:
    Admin wants me to scam you Roudydogg1, you call that keeping you safe?
  11. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I wouldn't advise that... not really in a joking matter either.
    Nothing of the sort was even suggested to you.
  12. Xxmarijnw

Xxmarijnw New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:109824459
    Save the resulting XML file from a query to your server, change none to SCAMMER and then test using that.