1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Toughts on new steam policy?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by alkon, Mar 30, 2018.

1. alkon

alkon SteamRep Moderator

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54985637
    So they just added this yesterday;

[​IMG]

Any toughts on it? How will it affect trading etc.?
  2. Xxmarijnw

Xxmarijnw New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:109824459
    This will very majorly affect the way trading keys and skins will work. Sites like OPSkins will have to hold users' skins for 7 days before they can be put on the market. Keys bought via OPSkins won't be of any use until that 7 day grace period is over. Many other things will also change. I highly disagree with this decision and hope they will revert it back.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    We have not yet formed an official, collective opinion on the changes.

I personally think it will hurt the CS:GO economy, but am not speaking on behalf of SteamRep as a whole in saying that. Considering Valve never intended for items to have real-world cash value in a grey market, I suspect they may not be overly concerned about preserving the economy as we know it.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  4. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    I don't really have much of a stance on it, I don't do CSGO trading anymore. What I do think is SR is going to have a influx of scam reports against random gambling site bots when the site owners just keep everything but that's the risk you take when you use services such as those.
  5. alkon

alkon SteamRep Moderator

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54985637
    Well in my opinion, this will greatly help against gambling sites. I do agree with that. It seems like this was the only way for valve to stop them, since I'm quite sure gambling sites where probbably one of the main reasons why they added them. Since all of the gambling sites can easily be rigged, it's great to see them die.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    What I like about it is it may encourage trades to stay in the trade window.
  7. Xxmarijnw

Xxmarijnw New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:109824459
    They could add a trade captcha. It would ruin sites like OPSkins unfortunately, but it won't really affect normal traders like you and me and basically put a halt to gambling sites. Unfortunately, automated trading is a very big business and many legit sites will also perish. The trading API would be useless as well. However, this one week cooldown is imo not the way to deal with gambling sites. It punishes normal users and legitimate businesses too hard and won't deter the bigger gambling sites as much as Valve would probably hope.
  8. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    Sadly it has to be a one bad apple to spoil the bunch scenario. I wonder if they will eventually consider having a shorter trade timeframe for longtime friends, maybe 3 days or something like that.
  9. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    for oldschool captchas such as ones Steam uses sometimes, AI is already more accurate on solving them than humans are, as for trade restrictions, this has a very negative impact on the community and the economy, there must be better ways to deal with gambling sites and scammers
  10. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    @Nebras Valve can enforce the SSA and permanently disable those bot accounts for starters.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Valve (Automatic)).**
  11. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    they do that sometimes, but the problem is that Steam accounts are disposable by nature, since they started banning them, gambling sites became much more sneaky in their actions, using random names, no profile picture, only using each account for a short period before abandoning it, due to the huge amount of trades each of them makes, it becomes very difficult to trace the current bots in use, and valve doesn't have the man power necessary to do that.
    I'd suggest for starters that in order to trade/own items for a game, you must own that game, that would make it a bit easier to trace the accounts and a bit more costly to make those throwaway accounts, but the problem stays that gambling sites are more than capable of paying for the game for each account due to the amount of profit they make.
  12. You Are The One

Steam:
    @Nebras Valve is aware of many very large "trade" sites/services that employ bots to operate, they have not disabled those bots or sent those entities cnd warnings (some of the csgo gambling ones they have in recent years due to lawsuits that have hit the news) but not any of the older ones who have been around well before csgo gambling, you telling me that they cant find or identify those accounts? I thought you were smarter then that.
  13. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    if you carefully read the SSA, you'd realize they put them in order to give themselves as much flexibility and power as possible so they can pick whatever decision they want, and not as rules, as it's pretty clear they don't enforce most of the SSA, and they never seemed to be against those trade sites or any other services that use their API (they even gave green lights in some cases), hell they weren't even against gambling until they got in trouble for it, and yes, they are very well capable of tracking bots of those trade sites, but the reason for that is those trade sites operate publicly and don't do any steps to hide their bots.
  14. You Are The One

Steam:
    A bot is a bot, irrelevant if its used for a "legit" trade site or a fake csgo gambling site. If they wanted to cut down on fraud, they should enforce the SSA they already have, and not selectively.
  15. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    that is true, eliminating all bots would eliminate most reasons for fraud happening, fake sites will continue to exist, as scamming a couple people will pay out the investment even if the bot gets banned shortly after, there would be less incentive for scams to occur, but by doing that it will hurt the community and economy again, recent csgo changes seems to have more impact on scams than on gambling/fake sites, but more impact on legit trading/cashout sites, however, it is a bit too late to enforce that rule on SSA.
  16. You Are The One

Steam:
    It will not hurt the "community" the "community" is an illusion created by profit traders to sway opinion to better their own positions. The "real" community of gamers is/was always faction d apart. Enforcing the SSA would have prevented the macro level scam operations that resulted in all these changes to trading last few years. Scamming would still exist at the micro level still (one on one scams).
  17. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    a legit site making profit have always been a positive force in the community, take it from the basic level, a trading site making profit, sponsoring a youtube channel, helping that youtube channel make more content, more incentive for more people to start making videos about the game.
    let's say tomorrow Valve starts enforcing a no bots at all rule, it will definitely have a positive impact, trade sites and automated trade bots are eliminated so all trades happening will be between normal traders, farming bots are also banned.
    let's take for example marketplace.tf , a popular cashout site, lots of people use it, if it gets eliminated by this rule, it's not just the website and its owners being hurt, marketplace.tf has been the main sponsor for almost every TF2 event throughout the years, including competitive events (prizepools and all), how is that not hurting the community?
    what if Valve also takes it to the next level and enforces their view that items has no real monetary value, restricting trading items for real money outside the community market (ala blizzard), that will also have many positive impacts, and will help prevent scams, but then all those people that invested a lot of real money into items would lose interest, the value of items would drop significantly, hurting not just the owners of those items, but hurting Valve themselves the most.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  18. You Are The One

Steam:
    Profit trading is why scammers started scamming, to make profit. Valve choose not to enforce the SSA (uniformly) resulting in the large services you mentioned to even exist (both the "good" and bad). It was all avoidable.
  19. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    correct, however, profit trading is why most people trade in the first place, having bots definitely has a lot of negatives, but a lot of positives as well, focusing on eliminating the negatives rather than destroy everything would be a better solution, in my opinion.
  20. You Are The One

Steam:
    Enforce the current SSA, eliminates the negative, including profit trading. People traded before any RWC market existed, the comm I admin for was the original site to do so, it gave birth to SR as you know it today for that reason. Gamers will still be buying virtual items even if they were not ever tradable going forward. Other minor tweaks could bring general trading back to parity with what it was prior to the recent change.

Edit 4/1: above last sentence should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the recent changes.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.