1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Toughts on new steam policy?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by alkon, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    I am aware of all that, if you eliminate all that, the value for items will drop, scams will happen less commonly but they will still happen regardless, so you basically eliminated all the positives while keeping the negatives, because no matter how many times you will ban someone they will still make a new account and keep going as long as they have an incentive to do so, and even if you eliminate RWC sites, you'll never be able to prevent someone from manually sending money through paypal (even if you ban them, which won't be easy as you'll have no way to know for sure the item was traded for RWC), at this point if you're willing to remove all those parts of the community, and since most items change hands using the community market either way, you may as well completely remove trading, that's the only action that actually can help preventing scams.
  2. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    As said in a previous post, you will always have the smaller micro scamming no matter what system you have/had in place. Items in steam trading have never been about "value" I think you are confusing the profit traders point of view with the gamers, they are different "communities" (also previously mentioned) Their is little to no downside for gamers who just want to play with neat looking cosmetics, what Valve intended from the start. If anything, some items will fall in value making them more, not less, desirable (and affordable) to gamers. This in turn, would generate more volume in trading and generate more fees for Valve, helping their bottom line.

Edit 4/1: above post should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the recent changes.
  3. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    Valve's intent is to make money, the reason they make a lot more from microtransactions in Steam than other companies is that those items are more than cool stuff you buy in a game, eliminating all groups other than gamers would result in them making less money, you know they would never do that.
  4. You Are The One

Steam:
  5. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    Yes, that is also true, but remember that even if valve doesn't take any fees from trades or 3rd party sites, they're indirectly profiting from them just because of the interest they generate, no one will go on a $1000 unboxing spree if they knew there's no real value and no way to get that money back even if they get the rarest item.
    i'm not an economist but I believe that interest makes them much more money than what they lose on items traded on 3rd party sites instead of the market.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  6. You Are The One

Steam:
    As said, they would generate more fees based on more volume, not value of said transactions. Their still will be a market, just less listings at 2,000$ of their perceived value.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. alkon

alkon SteamRep Moderator

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:54985637
    It seems that not many people like the new update; there are many petitions about it, some with a lot of supporters as we can see here. Though I still think that it's highley unlikley for them to revert it.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.