1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

[Help/Tips] Starting out in CS:GO community.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Bjurken, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Bjurken

Bjurken New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:2229481
    Hi I'm @Bjurken and I'm looking for tips and help to get a foot in the CS:GO community, I've registered to ESEA and HLTV. I've set-up Firefox add-ons to help my steam experience. I'm just looking for web-sites that could help me getting started with trading and good add-ons, stuff like that. I appreciate all tips and help I could get, thanks in advance.
  2. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:428249578
    You've already done 3 things that make you look bad to the trading community.. You've donated to SR right away, keep in mind this does not make you look more trusted, it makes people more skeptical. You are using a purchased steam account, this is a huge no-no in the trading community if you want to be serious. People also purchase 14 year accounts to seem more trusted, it's one of the many reasons I abandoned the 14 years I created, I was placed in that category. Valve can reclaim such an account at any given time. You are a member of hackforums, a known site for malicious activity and scammers.

My recommendations to you as a fellow trader,

• Register your own steam account
    • Cease advertisment of your affiliation with hackforums
    • Start trading and reddit and partner communities, they can be found on SR's homepage
    Tumor likes this.
  3. Bjurken

Bjurken New User

Steam:
    Thank you fo the tips! I've started getting a hand of things right now.
  4. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    Also @Bjurken You shouldn't link your SteamRep profile on your steam account. It can make potential traders/buyers think you're a scammer or at least some of them. Best thing to do is not link all of your Rep profiles and let traders do it for themselves like I would.
    Zoofie_ and Roudydogg1 like this.
  5. Bjurken

Bjurken New User

Steam:
    Are people really this scared of scammers? Is there really so many scammers in the trading community? Thank for your tip, I'll re-think my steam profile.
  6. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    @Bjurken some people are scared of scammers but most just take precautions when trading like looking you up on SteamRep or anything else.
    For an example scammers sometimes have screenshots of their "SteamRep" Profile which isn't really theirs. (EXAMPLE BELOW) Fake boi.png
  7. GoProJuns

GoProJuns New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:195993160
    Scammers have gotten smarter over time and there are a lot of dangerous scams going around. Scammers will go far as to create entire fake sites to get your $$$. I strongly suggest you familiarise yourself with the latest scam tactics using sources such as reddit and YouTube before you get started. I cannot emphasize more on how many scammers there are.

Also, ever since the last CS:GO udpate (Items cannot be retraded for 7 days) it is not worth trading for profit unless you are looking to trade super high tiers.
    Tumor likes this.
  8. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    People are taking the can't be too careful approach cause scammers try literally everything to do their thing.
    Tumor likes this.
  9. Zoofie_

Zoofie_ New User

Steam:
    Sorry for the second reply, but OP do this while you can. Using/having random old accounts can land you in places you do not want to be. First you get people, even this site's staff skeptical of you, trading community, and Valve itself. They are now starting to take alot of things seriously including these accounts. I messed with that from 2009 to 2015 and got repromanded by Erza, Jared, Ilya, and David - members of steam support. I was given a chance luckily by them. I know you said you're already reconsidering but I just wanted to go more in-depth on why it's just not a great idea from my first hand experience and losses I had to suffer. If you're interested in reading, it's section C of the subscriber agreement but there are alot of unwritten rules about these accounts and it's best to get out while you can.
  10. Erik

Erik New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:65618425
    And please be careful with clicking on any sites you receive. Most of the CS:GO trading sites, gambling sites (which are not legal in the first place) etc are all fake and have the intend of scamming you. Always make sure to double check.
  11. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I would concur with not linking your SteamRep profile from your Steam profile.

Donor tags are not a form of reputation - on this or any other site - and more often than not anyone using it for that ends up being a scammer. Having "no special reputation" does not establish anyone as "legitimate", and insisting otherwise, especially with a donor tag, is a red flag that someone intends to scam.

Community admins who do have special reputation are discouraged from linking their SteamRep profile from Steam, because anyone trusting links in Steam is prone to impersonation and other scams. Instead, we encourage community admins and users to use our guide on verifying someone's SteamRep status: https://steamrep.com/tips/pretrade

In summary, while it's possible for someone to check whether the link is legitimate for themself, it's much easier and safer to have whoever you're speaking with check on their own, and there is no legitimate reason to link someone to your SteamRep profile.
    Zoofie_ and Tumor like this.