1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

I made a rep group for public use..

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Tumor, May 21, 2018.

1. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    This idea probably won't work and there's already something out there but I wanted to do have something that other rep groups don't have or something that people want. This idea probably won't work and it will become defunct. I wanted to know if this was a bad idea or it wouldn't work out. I also wanted to ask what are things missing in rep groups that I could offer and help protect the trading community. My ultimate goal is for the group to become partnered with steamrep.

Thank you for reading or responding. Tell me what you think about this.
  2. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Lava and Tumor like this.
  3. Rosalina

Rosalina New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64197455
    FYI the group you made was already a thing, years ago. SourceREP was a thing that was made by salty scammers and scammer supporters on the backpack.tf forums. The site ultimately died because no one cared about the scammers or their petty issues.
  4. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    I was not aware of the group being affiliated with a scam years ago. I hope that I can clear the name and keep it going. This kinda sucks to know that.
  5. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    I mean I'm not committing fraud or setting up a scam group. I was trying to create a new rep group that was new and had a lot more moderation and community interaction. I'm really hoping I can try and get at least a few people to post a rep thread, but they probably think I'm a fake.
  6. derfy

derfy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1948671
  7. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
  8. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    I think what everyone is trying to get at is that Steam rep (whether that be as part of a group or just on Steam profiles themselves) is worthless as a form of reputation. A lot of times these rep groups are actually used for malicious purposes by trying to convince victims that they're reputable traders, when in fact that rep is fake or accumulated dishonestly. The reason for this, as laid out in the link you've been given twice, is that profile and group rep can be easily deleted, modified, or otherwise manipulated either by the owner of the rep thread or the person giving the rep. Even though you seem to have good intentions with this, I would personally suggest you steer clear of these types of groups, because as I mentioned they're often used for malicious purposes, and even when they're not they're worthless anyway.

The only valid reputation comes from trades that involve some kind of risk (Paypal trades, etc.) and are posted on communities that have strict and transparent guidelines about how rep in their community is moderated. This prevents users from manipulating rep, creating fake rep, or deleting justified negative rep they've received. See the FoG Reputation Thread Forum for an example of how this is done.

Best of luck!
  9. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    The group has been closed due to the name being part of a scandal and it doesn't have any reputation for trust and honesty. I didn't think it would make it so I knew it would happen. So don't really continue to respond as the group is defunct.