1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

sometimes its just fun to mess with them

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by obcapers, Mar 18, 2019.

1. obcapers

obcapers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36051453
    oh lordy he was gonna "hack" me
    I'm dying haha

Attached Files:

Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. obcapers

obcapers New User

Steam:
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I'd just like to point out you're playing with fire. I've seen plenty of people "mess with" scammers before they ultimately had their account or items stolen once the scammer ended up outsmarting them. Many of these scammers have years of experience, and will count on a prankster not being fully aware of their methods. I'd hate to see you get scammed in the process of trying to distract a scammer from his real victims.
    Nasty Zenith and obcapers like this.
  4. obcapers

obcapers New User

Steam:
    thanks very much for the pointer and I appreciate your concern, I've taken a lot of the precautions necessary to make sure that the damage he can do is lessened, I've reported him to steam, warned my friends about him and when talking to him I know not to go through any links they send, not to give out any information that could compromise my account and that any screenshots they send over showing my info are just scare tactics. If I get any more info on them I'll post it here
    Nasty Zenith and Roudydogg1 like this.
  5. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    If it's one thing I do like to do from time to time, is wasting their time. But it's pretty much pointless at this point considering how many of them there are now a days.
    Nasty Zenith likes this.
  6. Nasty Zenith

Nasty Zenith New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:2892926
    Seeing as there have been multiple cases of Valve's Steam Team mishandling accounts I don't encourage you to mess with people and underestimate them. Sure, it may seem funny and it may seem like a meme when someone plays the "I'm going to hack you card" but the risk is very much real. Malicious actors do not exactly need information from you to do what they do. I'm not referring to the knuckleheads you are currently dealing with as they've clearly guessed info and html edited a page.
  7. obcapers

obcapers New User

Steam:
    the last time this happened, when a different friend was hijacked, I had a number of bitcoin mining trojans sent through my IP which got picked up and quarantined by my firewall, in response to this I went into the firewall settings on the devices that use my IP and blocked all traffic from that address, what they tried to send were called JSCoinMiner Download 6, 8 and 67 coming from an address calling itself steam-antiscam dot eu/
    thankfully the friend who got hijacked got his account back after I let some of his friends know about it so they could add reports
    rest assured though, I'm not actively looking to find posers like the guy in the screenshots so that I can pick on them, they aren't worth my time or anyone else's for that matter
  8. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    I would rather you not set an example for other traders who think they know what they're doing, before they get their account stolen. Please don't, or else I will lock this thread.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  9. obcapers

obcapers New User

Steam:
    this thread wasn't made with the intention of being a guide on how to deal with hackers or scammers, I only made this thread for the purpose of comedy, if you think that I'm putting people in danger by posting this then you can feel free to close the thread on your own judgement and in the future I won't post any more threads of the same theme
  10. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    I didn't say it was a guide. People will see you having fun with this, and decide to start trying it themselves. You may not intend it as a guide, but it will still inspire someone to play with fire.

I hate to spoil your fun, and I wholeheartedly support disrupting scammers' profits. But even more than that, I hate seeing kids try things like this without knowing what they're doing, then not only getting their account stolen in the process when the scammer ends up being smarter than them, but a VAC ban in spite. Some also have their friends or family targeted for harassment. Scammers are not nice people.

Thank you for understanding.