1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can you make a report for an impersonating account?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Juicydeath1025, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Juicydeath1025

Juicydeath1025 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5245640
    Just a question I would like to know the answer. Tried to get in contact with a high end inventory, ◄FA†MAN►, who isn't online and then all of a sudden the impersonator account tries to add me, which resulted in a block on my end. I haven't been scammed or anything, I just notice that their SteamRep has no mention of being banned is all. I have included photos of both account for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    No, impersonation alone isn't a reportable offense, you have to prove and show proof the user is intending to defraud you with such impersonation.
    So unless you have steam chat/conversation with said user then you can report them to Valve and leave it at that.

Basically, what you just provided is unacceptable for any report without context.
    Have to also follow strict evidence requirements.
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-submission-fundamentals.169802/
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/screenshot-guide-requirements.157969/
    Roudydogg1 and Juicydeath1025 like this.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Hi Horse.

I have to say that your response here is rather feeble and bland. Certainly it might be technically correct, but in practice it is not so.

How many times did Mattie or Helen impose tags because someone used my avatar and name and account nomenclature? INSTANTLY, and without any evidence of intent to defraud.... the answer is MANY TIMES.

Perhaps it was because I was Admin of multiple unusual servers and closely linked to SteamRep, maybe the "little man" gets other treatment, of course because I was accredited SteamRep Middleman, maybe SR reacted fast to ensure users would be safe from scammers (and I was very thankful that that occurred)

I fully agree that for any impersonation to be actionable by SR, there MUST be intent: ipso facto there must be some form of nefarious behavior that any normal person would agree was untoward, however let us not be pedantic, SR in the past based decisions on direct and obvious evidence, so to reply to a user with a standard once size fits all response is underwhelming.

When anyone impersonated me, SR banned that user instantly, certainly people less known might require a little more "juice" and "paper work" but let us not discourage such people.

Impersonation is almost always trolling or scamming, and the latter is most certainly SR territory.
  4. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    https://forums.steamrep.com/threads/banning-for-impersonation-of-an-admin-mm-or-another-user.112335/
    Clive, ♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪ and Horse like this.