1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Will the function of SR be diminished soon?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Champelliot, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    DARKLY | Jakk likes this.
  2. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I was just about to post a thread about this. This seems pretty interesting, but we'll have to see how it turns out.
    Eoj Nawoh likes this.
  3. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    Heh, ninja'd.

But if this is effective, it will be a massive asset to the TF2 community, especially to individuals such as yourself I'd imagine, who deal with this type of trading a huge amount.
  4. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I mostly trade unusuals, so it wouldn't affect me that much as it would people who trade a ton of keys/metal/buds.

The problem here is that money you get by selling your items goes to your Steam wallet. This is great if you want to buy some more stuff on Steam, but not so great if you're looking to cash out.
    i.e. I couldn't sell one of my unusuals (or even keys, metal, buds) on the Steam Market to then go and buy someone a Christmas gift.

It's got pros and cons, but cba to write a huge essay on what I think about this right now, I have work to finish :V

Edit: I just put up a key for sale at 1.40$ to test it out, and it sold under 30 seconds.
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    It won't affect SR, there will always be scammers, and in its current form it won't effect higher value Paypal trades.

It may well impact on the prices for items in general in the longer term, since price of items would be linked to real world sales :)
  6. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    I'm not confident about this thing, here comes fraudulent credit card or stolen credit card through steam wallet.
    People can easily do that as i already saw many having games bought through this way, the problem is that once the buyer (trader) have the game, it's deleted from it's library by Valve because of that.
    As said Acesgamer, it goes on steam wallet so it's only interesting if you wanna buy games later.
  7. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    Well, my thought for this is based on how often people make withdrawals from their TF2/Paypal account.

When people sell keys for cash, they generally buy more keys with that same revenue, and repeat the process, surely this will cut down on chargeback/failure to pay scams in these areas. At least, that's my logic, I see it as a useful step, even if the funds are confined to Steam wallets.
  8. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    I would love if this meant the end of scamming! :) :)

It won't obviously, because people need to cash out and there's no way to do that here. You could already trade TF2 items for games so in theory the impact to scamming and middleman processes are minimal (except making key transactions safer for people who just want to buy them via Valve).

The best part about this, though-- is that it exposes the pseudo-cash market to a HUGE audience. This will have a major effect on the market, bringing in more people who are interested. I think this may outweigh the disruption of the market itself.

There's also a lot of likelihood that scammers and hijackers will use this as yet another way to launder goods through random accounts. Especially if they enable this for unusuals or high-value items--- it may make it very difficult to avoid trading with scammers and they'll profit a lot.

Also, of interest, is the fact that the market has a fraud fee (5%) and a game-specific fee (10%) paid by the buyer of the item. This in essence is higher than most other people selling for PayPal, but the convenience factor may reduce the impact here.

Right now Steam wallets are restricted to $200 across all "of your accounts". Not sure exactly how they track that, if they mean by email or IP.
  9. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Also note, that I think eventually most items will trend as costing less on the secondary market for PayPal than the current Steam Marketplace value because Steam wallet money is worth less than real cash (because it can't pay rent, etc). It's just a more granular "currency item" for TF2 and perhaps will replace currency items like keys.

Effectivelly $1USD_SW < $1USD but it's hard to tell what the exchange rate will be outside of Steam.

Keep in mind that keys cost $2.49 in the Mann Co store and were $1.30 USD on the secondary market.
    Right now one SteamWallet dollar costs $1 USD in the Steam "store". I wonder how much they'll go for on the secondary market to figure out the exchange rate.
  10. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Interestingly, there is a "Fraud Fee" that may mean they won't pass that risk onto users. In addition, people who buy from the Mann Co store cannot resell items right away. And market items may also not appear as "eligible" to be sold on the marketplace either.
    Oz' dak1ne likes this.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I noticed in the FAQ:
    Sounds like the account must be active with SG on a computer for 15 days minimum. Even with a fake Steam Support hijack, the hijacker won't be able to do damage.
  12. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I am going to put it out there. If these keys are "tradeable" off the "store" then I find this new "store a GREAT place to convert items to keys. You can still cash out the keys the old fashioned way by using your steam wallet money to buy back keys with all the items you sold on the "store". This actually for the immediate future is probably going to create a GREAT revenue stream for me if this is the case. Going to test it out now.
  13. Dronefly

Steam:
    So I just put 17 keys for $1.39 and they are selling for $1.59. Interesting how only paints, tools, keys and crates can be sold. So now that I cashed out so much money into my wallet. I wonder what I can do with the money. It sold in a heartbeat too. ALL the keys. interesting. Also the fact that you are using their system so you are fully protected with your money. Gonna study this for a while see where it goes.
  14. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Market is "beta", they are looking to increase max funds + items later, and you can buy steam game with your money etc.

Market will not have any impact at all on Paypal for obvious reasons, it will end up affecting price for items (and that is a good thing).
    Dronefly likes this.
  15. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    It won't FULLY get rid of Sr because theyre more ways of scramming then Paypal but will surely lessen the load :)
  16. Dronefly

Steam:
    Sorry for posting here and I will stop if you guys dont like it but so far the impact is that keys are rising in price on the "store" from 1.55 to 1.61 and going. I figure the only way left to cash this out is buying people games in exchange for keys at a lower rate. but i agree with most. ultimately this will raise the prices of items in the short term.
  17. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    Obviously it will never get rid of the need for SR, that's why the title describes the function being "diminished" rather than removed. Unfortunately, scams will always exist, hopefully, this will hinder the more unscrupulous members of our community though.
  18. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    It should actually benefit SR, by reducing the number of normal items scams, thus reducing workload somewhat.
  19. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Also, note that we're already getting "scam reports" of people selling expiring items on the Steam Community Market already. :)
  20. Dronefly

Steam:
    how can you sell expiring items? i thought you can only sell tools which dont "expire".