1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Question about middlemen

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by King tut, Feb 1, 2013.

1. King tut

King tut New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:40401014
    Ladies and gentlemen.
    Hello, this is my first time cashing out in real money and not as usual in games.

So i have a question; Can a trusted middleman hold the money?

Currently i have no paypal account, but soon (hopefully!) i will have a middleman who will take that paypal then give the cash to me (IRL).

So in the meantime is it appropriate to ask the middleman to hold onto that $$ for a while?

Thank you.
    (and hopefully i posted in the right place)
  2. Nobel

Nobel New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42192766
    I'm pretty sure the MM never holds the money.

Try and give this a read - http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/middleman-trade-howto.16603/#post-66155

If you have ANY questions or concerns, please research or ask BEFORE you trade/contact an official MM.
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

In some rare cases MM's hold the money, altho this is not how its intended. As you don't tell who your "money holder" is, you might need 2 MM's to complete such trades: 1 to hold the items and pass forward to the buyer once its paid, and 1 you trust to receive the money.

As this is making stuff "complicated" please work with ppl really trusted. If things go haywire its a big mess (4 party trade... :S).
  4. King tut

King tut New User

Steam:
    Yeah i know that's an unorthodox way of doing it but is there any other way? not sure.
    I know it's not intended to be that way, but there is two gaps here, i don't have a paypal and the seller does, and the other middleman who will take paypal and give me cash (in real life) can't be put in between the trade.

So i give the trusted MM the keys, he receives my keys and the guys paypal (and verify it was received- which i can't have the other MM do) then give the buyer the keys and hang on my money for a day or two till i set it up.

I don't "trust" the buyer so i wanna move the cash where i can put my trust till i sort the other one.

I hope i was clear (Sorry, English is not my first language).
  5. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    You just need 1 trusted mm then. You will have to give your keys first, then the transaction has to be done.
    Once your friend recieved the money and confirms this to the trusted mm, he can give the keys to the buyer.
    Do note, the trust you put in your friend is up to you, no-one can mm that...
  6. King tut

King tut New User

Steam:
    By friend do you mean last one in the circle? since i will meet him IRL then no problem.

Me --give keys instantly--> Trusted MM --verify the $$ wait some time then give paypal--> Whoever will buy and give in real cash.

TL;DR (If i haven't been clear enough in the question)
    I want the middle man not to give me the money instantly but wait till i sort where will he send the keys, is that possible using trusted MM's?
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

- Seller
    - Buyer
    - MM
    - Money Keeper

Seller gives items to MM.
    Money Keeper keeps contact with MM to confirm receipt of money from Buyer.
    Once money is confirmed to be send by buyer to Money Keeper, MM trades items to buyer.
    Seller deals with money keeper to receive his money.
    King tut likes this.
  8. King tut

King tut New User

Steam:
    Exactly! now the buyer is in hurry and i couldn't find anyone to take paypal yesterday (and today is weekend here) i did this before (the money keeper thing) but i need a day or two, so can the MM keep it for a while?
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    You said you do not trust the buyer, and generally any buyer who is "in a hurry" should send a clear warning signal, be careful he doesn't come up with "other" idea in his apparent mad rush to buy your items.
  10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Middlemen do not typically hold cash for individuals as the risk for chargeback and a mess of things is pretty high. I would suggest having a friend do it or working something out in that regard. (It also depends on the size of the purchase)
  11. King tut

King tut New User

Steam:
    Thank you all for your insight, much appreciated.
    It's just a $100 would someone with $1000+ backpack rescue tagging for it?

Anyway i decided i won't do it this way, it's too troublesome, i was rushing as well to get $$ to pay for new month's servers' rent but i had my bro paying them yesterday. so i will wait and do it right.

Thank you.
  12. Rob

Rob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:4565259
    The rare times I've held cash while middle-manning were always instances where a prepaid solution that couldn't be accepted by someone outside of the US (also was for all intents and purposes chargeback-proof). That said I don't think I can ever suggest going down such a road, too many things can go wrong intended or no.