1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Selling via Paypal

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Cobra447, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Cobra447

Cobra447 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13942036
    Hi everyone,

I was going to be performing a sale very soon via PayPal. This will be my first one, ever. (Hooray!)
    Obviously going into the transaction a little uneasy, so I had come across the suggest through another trade to use a middleman through SteamRep.

I've reviewed the thread here: http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/steamrep-guides.22/

I was just hoping if anyone had any further suggestions or advice going forward, or any general suggestions.

Thanks!
  2. the_best_noob

the_best_noob New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52405770
    My only advice is, don't use paypal if you don't have to. I've seen too many people lose mass quantities of money($200 and up) by using paypal. Even though they are making chargebacks harder, it is still quite easy and I would steer clear of using paypal as my main method of trading unusuals/high tier items.
  3. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    Chargeback on paypal is too easy, take any risk dont use this or only with a SOP trusted seller.
  4. Cobra447

Cobra447 New User

Steam:
    I don't understand, what's wrong with PayPal?

What would you suggest as an alternative?
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    There is nothing wrong with Paypal, indeed it affords a slew of protections (some would say too many). However virtual items are not afforded the same protections as physical items, and there is always a risk of charge-back with the chances of winning being very remote.

Even dealing with traders considered reputable can represent a risk (Here I can cite Spartan charging back EOJ).

As long as you carefully size up who you deal with, you will be fine most of the time, however there is always a risk.
  6. Cobra447

Cobra447 New User

Steam:
    Wonderful! Thanks so much for the advice! :)

I'm not sure if a new thread would be best for this, but since I am new to the Steam Rep community, do you have any suggestions on how I might build up my reputation?
    I've made some trades through TF2 Outpost and Tradepost, but nothing through this forum/community.

Edit: as well as having not done any transactions involving real world money.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

8. Cobra447

Cobra447 New User

Steam:
    Perfect! Thank you DataStorm