1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Bug report: When viewing a trade banned user's steamrep page, they are called a scammer

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by samhudson333, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20671375
    When viewing the steamrep page of a tradebanned user, the viewer is prompted with a pop-up that says "Warning: This user is a scammer". I have never and will never engage in anything less than perfectly legitimate trading. Due to issues with steam support, though, they removed my ability to trade. I plan to use a buying alt in the near future, but worry that this false message will unnecessarily inhibit my ability to do so. It's probably a pretty simple error, due to trade banned users now having a red shield, but if it could be fixed that would be wonderful.

Thank you!
  2. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    It's not a bug- it's supposed to do that. We support Valve's tags and therefore a Banned by Valve tag given to trade-banned users is treated the same as any other scammer tag. So, no, it won't be fixed because it's intended to be that way.
  3. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    Libel is a feature? The site publicly calls me a scammer, when this couldn't be farther from the truth. There's a litany of reasons that Steam trade bans for, and scamming is only one of them. I understand that you support Steam's tags, but referring to innocent traders like myself as a scammer is not the way to go about doing that.
  4. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    -facepalm- It's not libel and you know darn well you're not an "innocent trader", Sam. However, I can talk to the other admins about having the message changed so it doesn't say the person is a scammer.
  5. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I'd hardly say unknowingly receiving keys bought with stolen credit cards makes me guilty of wrong doing, but that's besides the point. Thank you for your help.
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

The exact wording of Trade Banned users was discussed with Valve back when this was implemented. The wording "Valve Trade Ban" is correct, for such ban you did recieve. With the integration of the 2 tags for:

Trade Status: Banned (on SR shown as: Valve Trade Ban)
    Trade Status: Probation (on SR shown as: Valve Probation)

Both of those are filled in with the coloring of Scammer status and Caution status we already had. The "tags" are fully automatic, meaning that only Valve controls those by the setting on your profile, and we cannot and will not interfere in showing those from Valve.

Issues with your Trade Ban / Probation you have to take up with Valve via Steam Support. We cannot help you with those.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    If anyone is to be accused of libel here, it is you my friend, since the word "scammer" is not present in your tag. Almost makes me see red, oh wait...
  8. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I'm well aware of the tags, what they mean, and how they're displayed on the site. What I have a problem with, though, is that when viewing a trade banned user's steamrep profile, a popup shows up ( http://puu.sh/2haNr ) that erroneously refers to me as a scammer. Having never participated in anything less than perfectly legitimate trading, to the best of my knowledge, and since I plan to continue trading with a buying alt in the future, I take great offense to this. Not only is it upsetting to me individually, but it will greatly hinder my ability to trade when I myself an merely the victim of unfortunate circumstances.
  9. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I did not say it was in my tag, hence why I am concerned as to why it is displayed at all. It is displayed on a popup when viewing my page. http://puu.sh/2haNr
  10. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Solution: Don't get trade banned and you won't be labeled a scammer.
    VenGanZa, Oz' dak1ne and TradingCo like this.
  11. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

hmm, didn't think of the popup. I'll discuss it.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    samhudson333 likes this.
  12. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    I'm sorry, I don't have access to Valve's credit card sales records, and am unable to tell definitively if the keys I'm about to buy have come from a stolen credit card. If you posses this ability, please let me know, as it would be extraordinarily useful.
  13. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but I don't see any "innocence" when knowingly selling earbuds to scammers. I have no respect for you carders/associates of carders.
  14. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    :(. sammy, what happened.
  15. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    [​IMG]
    There is no rule against selling to a marked scammer. He spun me the same yarn, I felt bad for him, and he seemed like he had reformed. I took a chance and risked $35 of my cash and sold to him, breaking no steamrep rules. You already added the owner of TF2Shop attempting to lose me my position, and he told you the same thing. Sorry, I have no respect for people who shitpost for the sole reason of shitposting.
  16. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    Watch out for steam support, they'll get ya
  17. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    It's it EXACTLY against SR rules? First offense cash trades. A trade was done by definition is buying (or in your case) selling goods or services. Not sure how it's NOT against the rules.
  18. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Before you say anymore, try not to s✿✿✿ talk Steam support here.
  19. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    God, haven't posted here for ages after becoming a mod on OP, need to pull up my socks.

Either way, as for scammer not appearing in his tag, I think you might want to look in the top left hand corner here: http://puu.sh/2hgB2 . In big, red, bold writing. Perhaps not on the shield, but absolutely visible, and probably the first thing I'd notice.
  20. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    Buying or trading is against the rules. Selling is done at your own risk. I took that risk, and nothing came of it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.