1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Small Cash Trade with a friend

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Seohyun <3 #Newsens, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Seohyun <3 #Newsens

Seohyun <3 #Newsens New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:51781092
    I have a real life friend who has been marked as a scammer, who's selling me a Strange Amby for $2 in real life. Is it possible that I would be marked for this? Would this be considered a high-value/cash trade? I'm trying to get one as soon as possible and he's the only person I know IRL who's available to trade the next day.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    No one here is going to say it's fine to trade with a marked scammer or buy anything from a marked scammer. You don't want to be associated with them-- just in case questions come back regarding stolen items.

While it's not high value, the fact that you know he's a scammer means you really shouldn't be trading with him if your reputation is important to you. Just find somewhere else to get your Strange Ambassador. There are lots for trade on Outpost...
  3. Seohyun <3 #Newsens

Steam:
    I want to buy one with real cash in real life, as I don't have much trading material in TF2(I.E hats I would trade), nor do I have paypal.
    Also, why is it wrong to possibly benefit a friend whom I know, even if he has done something wrong? :/
  4. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I'm surprised you would even ask that question. He has scammed someone. Someone got cheated because of his actions. If he makes money (real life, paypal, other vritual items) then you are helping him with his crime. As in real life an accessory to a crime is very much punishable for their assistance in commiting, concluding or "getting away" with the crime.

That is why you would get marked for KNOWINGLY trading with a marked scammer (if it was accidental and a small ticket item you would have gotten away with a stern warning, but knowingly doing it is an accessory to the crime).
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Aiding and abetting :)

Just as in the real world, trading with anyone who garners income from illegal sources is facilitating. In other words stand near a toilet, don't be surprised if people say you smell like s✿✿✿ eh?
  6. Seohyun <3 #Newsens

Steam:
    You mean if I hadn't checked his steamrep, I would not be punished for this trade?
    That's rather counter-intuitive but I do get your point there.
  7. Seohyun <3 #Newsens

Steam:
    And I didn't know he was a scammer until he approached me about the trade, just to add on.
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Not really.

Newer players and people who genuinely are not aware of this issue, and not punished, why would they be?

It is actually not easy to get marked for trading with scammers, and those who do so on one occasion are generally given a warning. Only those who willfully trade with scammers after being warned (or being older traders who are known to understand the rules) are in any jeopardy, and even then they generally risk a caution tag. Getting a full scammer tag normally requires continuing to deal with scammers various times with the full knowledge of consequences.

In your case, while I imagine it would be unlikely anything would happen to you for buying a $2 item from a scammer, why on earth would you? You now know why you should not, and that should be an end to it really.
  9. samhudson333

samhudson333 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20671375
    Buying a sandwich from someone who robbed a bank isn't aiding and abetting. In real life, no one would care at all about that transaction.
  10. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    It would be if he robbed a sandwich bank, you argument is specious.
    Dronefly likes this.
  11. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    He robs the bank, uses that money to buy sandwiches to sell to you. Your happy you got a sandwich but he is happy because robbing the bank paid off for him when you bought the sandwich. Would you have still bought the sandwich if you knew how he got it? Not all immoral decisions are crimes in real life but they are still immoral.
    You Are The One likes this.