1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Scammers and Trading.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Nathan Cash, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    Hello I have had a scammer tag for a while now and did not know I was not supposed to be trading until very recently. I stopped trading as I wish to keep in compliance with the rules but I have a question. The rule was made (to my knowledge) to prevent scammers from profiting off their scams. Since I already gave all the rec I scammed back (a total of 3 rec) am I allowed to trade? Or is it just a blanket rule? If I can't trade does this mean I can never trade ever again? Anyways thanks for looking at this and I appreciate any replies.

Thanks,
    Nathan.
  2. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27332147
    There is no technical restrictions preventing you from trading. It's just a database to warn people that they shouldn't be trading with you. If you would like to make an appeal, you can post your appeal here: http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/appeal/
    VenGanZa likes this.
  3. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    Oh. I thought others I traded with could get a scammer tag...
  4. takethepants

takethepants New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:27332147
    They can, but that's on them if they knowingly trade with someone who is marked
  5. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    So if I trade, I risk giving other people scammer tag? If so I will restrain from trading as that is a douche bag move IMO. I really liked trading but why not get back into the actual game for a while :D.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I wouldn't say you should completely quit trading. It's only semi-high, high value trades/continued trades that generally get people into trouble. If you trade a scrap banker for a weapon you want, I'm sure no one will care.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Indeed, there is a lower limit on which we would process. Thats at the value of 1 bills and higher (total in trade), and any unusuals. Below that we wont consider.
  8. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    So 4 keys for a 4 key hat would be considered because that is a bills value? I thought it had to be bills value on each side.
  9. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    The point of the "no trading with scammers" rule is to prevent people from helping scammers make profit by buying their illegitimate items that they wouldn't otherwise be able to sell.

As far as common sense is concerned, no one will be hurt by buying items that were legitimacy acquired before (and even after) your scammer tag. I had read your previous thread and you refunded everyone their stuff, leaving nothing in your inventory to be deemed unsafe for trade.
  10. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Depends on what you mean by "hurt". Trading a few normal weapons no one will give a toss about, but trading with scammers in terms of high value items in and of itself is an offence as per rules. In practice a tagged player still plays the game, still trades, and I applaud anyone so tagged who actually cares about potential consequences to others.

I read his previous thread also, and if his concern for others here is genuine, I would be appealing at some stage in future if it was me.
    D2Girls likes this.
  11. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    No, what I'm saying is this particular individual is not hurting anyone by trading anything, since he:
    1. Doesn't own any scammed items
    2. Doesn't actively scam people
    3. Is not a threat to the community
  12. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    Read rules, you are incorrect.
    D2Girls likes this.
  13. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    Explain to me how I am incorrect.
  14. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    D2Girls likes this.
  15. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    Thanks for dodging my question. The rules state: "we cannot encourage scammers to profit from their theft."

Now I want you to explain to me how trading this individual, again, who:
    1. Doesn't own any scammed items
    2. Doesn't actively scam people
    3. Is not a threat to the community
    Is helping a scammer profit from his theft.
  16. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    I got a caution tag for buying a hat that was acquired months and months before the user I bought it from received their scammer tag. This isn't really true.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Hmm, I forgot to mention: and also any money trade.

in this case, the guy should appeal.
  18. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    My biggest worry about appealing is that whoever reviewed it would think I told the truth and returned the rec just to get unmarked. I was talking to HelenAngel about it (a super nice admin who works here) and she said she wanted to discuss it with me when she was less busy and not to appeal just yet. That was a few weeks ago and she hasn't replied. Will waiting to appeal lower my chances of getting unmarked?
  19. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

helen is the most busy admin, you'd have to remind her on it. I don't think there are "less" busy times really, maybe less busy for her, for she has some private matters to attend as well atm, so she might have meant that.
  20. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    On the contrary I would say, appealing many months after a tag may be preferable. If time has been served in the wilderness with no further infractions, it would seem to me this could only make a case stronger, while not guaranteeing anything of course. Just my viewpoint for what it is worth.