1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

[DISCUSSION] Why do you trade with New Accounts?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Jmcmλtrix, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5412928
    I've been looking through the scam reports, and checking the scammers on steam. I'm just curious why you'd trade with someone who's been on steam 1 Month, and has very few games? Don't you think they'll scam you?

/Discuss
  2. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    not everyone that's new is a scammer. Don't assume everyone's an a✿✿✿✿✿✿

It's no wonder everyone things trading is dying when everyone is this negative
  3. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    I didn't say everyone is a scammer, I'm saying why do people trade with new accounts. I never said "ALL" new accounts are scammers.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    saying that assumes all new accounts are scammers. If everyone assumes a new account is a scammer, nobody will trade with new people, meaning no new people can enter the market.
  5. Spyromancer

Spyromancer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37815818
    Trading with newbies isn't a problem, it's when they immediately get into cash trading that's suspicious. I'm all for encouraging the next Mattie from their very first weapon trade, but cash trading is entirely an exercise in trust and prior knowledge. It takes a while for people to get used to the idea of cash for virtual items, so if someone just got into tf2 and immediately wants to buy like 50+ buds or whatever with nothing to show for their trustworthiness, you'd have to be greedy, desperate for cash, dumb, or some kind of combination of those factors. Saying all x is y is a blanket term, and is wrong by definition. Saying there is strong evidence linking x and y and suggesting caution upon seeing x, is not.
    Dronefly and Pintend like this.
  6. Pintend

Pintend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18565370
    This.
  7. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    I think the point here is buying very high-dollar items from a newbie/baby account with 12 hours, no rep, recent account creation date. That absolutely has to raise an eyebrow and force any reputable trader to do deeper research on the history of the items in question.

95% of the time it's a scammer alt. If it's a newbie trader then it will be obvious from their manner and definitely encourage that, but if it's someone who knows buds/item prices very well, then you can bet your bottom dollar you're buying from a scammer.
    Jailbait likes this.
  8. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Yea, I understand that Mattie. But I hate for people to think that all people with low hours are scammers. Just like I hate that people think all Russians are scammers. I'm a pretty cynical person to begin with but I have to say, it's a massive dick move to lump everyone into the same boat and assume so much bad.

Feels like if I don't say it, nobody will.
  9. Spyromancer

Spyromancer New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37815818
    No one's saying that, though. This is more along the lines of "Why did anyone buy Doc Scratch's stuff when it was obviously in alt accounts?"
  10. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Huh? You just misunderstood the topic and decided to condemn the entire community. We're just trying to clarify the sort of behavior we're talking about. Jmcmλtrix's wording was a bit confusing here, but no one wants people to stop trading with true newbies.

To summarize:
    • Newbie traders rock-- encourage them if they're legit!
    • If a scammer pretending to be a newbie trader trades you stolen high-dollar items, then that's on your head as a buyer for helping a scammer or hijacker profit/launder. Do your research.
    • Buying from a "fresh" unmarked account that is obviously a scammer alt is a good way to hurt your reputation. We are monitoring people who do this and don't be surprised if (1) we adjust policy to punish this explicitly and (2) you find that if you are accused of a scam that you lose the benefit of the doubt.
    Hopefully that makes it clearer.
  11. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    I guess that's my bad. But the OP did sound like he was generalising. If he was referencing another topic/thing that happened then I didn't realise.

Sorry for condemning the community there, but there is a reason I quit trading to deal with the ethics of it.

<3
  12. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    This Discussion has run it's purpose.
    Don't Reply, unless you feel like it.​
  13. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    When it comes to anything I don't trust 100%, I always ask them to go first. Why risk money?
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    This is also not the issue here, the "new" accounts are selling accounts from scams, they want to monetize their fraudulently gained items by selling them.

Its always a big warning that a "new" account has a high value unusual traded for but no other items, or is "rich". then you for sure know its a alt.
  15. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    Why did you quote me o.o
    What's 'new' to you? 'new' as in they just got into the tf2 trading scene?
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I normally would check more thorough any account that's younger then 6 months, or have only TF2 or maybe 1-5 other cheap games, or where the backpack shows no interest in playing actually the game, low gaming hours (<500 hours tf2, altho I take that to a grain of salt due idling etc). I look also at comments, and yes, all of them, and look how old they are, if they are all within a narrow time, I check random items on their history.

Usually I get just a "feel" that its a alt, and most times its true, the above is just to find out.

There so many indicators of a account being a alt of to be suspicious of it, I look at all the things I can see on a account.
  17. Solid Twily™

Solid Twily™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42342644
    It really depends. I have no problem with new traders at all. It took a long time for me to get into the market properly. But when the first mentioned phrase of that guy with 49 minutes TF2 SMNC and [insert F2P game here] is "u sell anusual for cash? I offer [insert ridiculusly high amout of money here], I just remove him from my friendslist.

I mean, how in the love of Gabe do people think that would work?
  18. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    See, I disagree with your actions (and I WILL get in trouble for this next statement) but I would actually bait the scammer and get as much info from him including a paypal email address that hes sending money from and any other information I can to report him. Even if the report doesnt earn the guy a tag it is our responsibility to take action and weed these guys out. By just removing him you are simply letting him try another person until he gets lucky. And if you think it doesnt affect you then think again.

Guy gets a free item and sells it CHEAP to someone else. That other person buys cheap, and sells cheap in return. Next thing you know, an unusual that was worth 6 buds is worth 2 buds 6 months later. Why? Because you, and 10000 other people turned their back on what they clearly knew was a scammer. So next time you wonder why your item depreciated so much. remember, its partially YOUR fault too.
  19. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    also you can never trust someone 100% when you're selling them expensive stuff unless they have a very clear history of buying that is more then 6 months old. the reason being is the credit card company overrides paypal and its possible to do a chargeback with the credit card company, not paypal.
    Dronefly likes this.
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    anybody giving the crap to those traders? for trading with a scammer...