1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

ATTN: SR Admins, Whats reqiured?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS, May 21, 2013.

1. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:162059
    I've been doing Unusual trading for around 2 years now, and whenever i talk to an admin, it always seems im not "doing enough" to provent from trading with someone that might turn out to be a scammer. Fair enough! Lets make it clear!

The following is what i check before i trade, how can i improve this checklist? Can we get a:

CLEAR guide, of whats reqiured to check before buying an unusual

(Things to sidenote, i dont need rep from them, as i ALWAYS go second if paypal is wanted, with the rep i have)

My Steps:
    1: Check said persons SR profile(are they tagged?)
    2: Check steam profile for: Member SInce, TF2 gametime, and amount of games in general
    3: Check backpack, does it look legit? Aka a normal players bp
    4: Check history of said hat;
    • A: is the person before him tagged?
    • B: Does the person before him have a message of "i was scammed or hyjacked"
    • C: How long has he had it, if he just got it, how did he get it?
    What else can i add to this CHECKLIST before buying an unusual?
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

As this is more a "research" then a guide, I'm moving it into general subforum.
  3. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    I also do these:

Search ID and name on SteamREP forums (for current reports)
    Look at friends list (easiest on SteamREP) for alts/ high amount of scammer friends
    A Filthy Streetrat likes this.
  4. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:
    Thank you, i forgot to add that, i do check number of friends and scammer friends amount.

I will add that "Search ID and name on SteamREP forums (for current reports)" as well, as it does seem to sometimes take a week to a month for reports to get posted
  5. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:
    UPDATED CHECKLIST(cuz you cant edit on these forums lol....):

------------------------

My Steps:
    1: Check said persons SR profile(are they tagged?)
    2: Search ID and name on SteamREP forums (for current reports) -added
    3: Check steam profile for: Member SInce, TF2 gametime, friends, and amount of games in general
    4: Check backpack, does it look legit? Aka a normal players bp
    5: Check history of said hat;
    • A: is the person before him tagged?
    • B: Does the person before him have a message of "i was scammed or hyjacked"
    • C: How long has he had it, if he just got it, how did he get it?
    ------------------------

What else can i add to this CHECKLIST before buying an unusual?
  6. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I suggest adding "having common sense". Probably the most lacking element overall.
    Sjru and Pretender like this.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

if selling, check the buyers bp worth change in the last months, if that is rapidly going up, I'd hesitate, waiting for a large chargeback.
    Or rep threads of only very recent reps, but nothing old. (say nothing older then 2 months, only having a load of recent).

And yeah, sorry, the general discussion and report/appeal sections have editing limited to 2 minutes after posting. Only guides section is different, for there ppl must be able to edit their Opening Post (OP) to be able to edit their guide, correct things etc, and its less important to retain "evidence" there. Due nature of this thread I decided to move it to general, for its more a research thing then a actual guide yet.

Once you gathered enough, you could make the actual guide (or start it up yet, and link it here) and keep that updated. That would be fine. I just didn't think it right to keep this in guides, also, here it gets a bit more attention ;)
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

hmm, common sense ... that would be too common, for everybody has some sense, and the "common" version is lacking (proof is still building up in the reports section in these forums, I refer to that :p)... I'll settle for "improved sense" or some like that.
  9. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:
    With the ammount of unusuals that move(buying/selling) from my account, i get alot agro from SR admins from time to time, as once and a while scammers slpit threw, so i need a more clear step by step guide.

I would like more comments from Admins, adding more req'd steps, whatever it takes. Im tried of being "investgated". I try my best, and sometimes my best isnt enough.
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

- how long has the current person has it? short? check with a couple pre-owners whats going on. anything in last ~2-3 weeks is relevant in the life of items.
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    All of your normal and perfunctory checks are fine.

The real dangers are not so obvious. You are a player with many years steam and a lot of trades, so of course your trades will at some time or another come under someone's scrutiny.

One of the things that any seasoned trader should be careful of, are hats which are being offered for "good prices". Even if an account is not marked, a check of the hats trading history may often show it passed through the hands of a scammer or is possibly from a hijacked account. As you can imagine, extra checks (tf2items etc) can be a pain in the arse, but in cases where there is some concern of provenance, there is really no option. Remember that quite apart from anything else, Valve is very anal about hijacked items and has (even in recent times) locked many accounts associated with suspicious items pending investigation, and given they are not forthcoming with info, who would want to risk being caught up innocently in some net they cast?

In practice, no one is going to forensically check every single high value item they buy (beyond the normal SR checks and such you list), but certainly a knowledge of some of the major scammers, and who has who on friends lists, keeping abreast of recent hijacks mentioned on SR is a major asset to a regular trader. I suppose it really comes down to having a nose for some item that could be suspicious and doing extra checks when we are offered such things.
  12. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:
    Thank you for such a clear, and great summory of the said issues. Well said.

-"any seasoned trader should be careful of, are hats which are being offered for "good prices" With the given business that im doing, all im looking for is "good prices" that i can resell.

What im trying to acomplish with this post is, a step by step guide, that i can follow, and what others can follow. If you can think of anything else i can add to this check list, please say so. Thank you for your reply.
  13. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    idk man, you wanna buy dis burning flame team captain? 15 bud, it's legit, yo.
  14. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:
    Looking for feedback from SR admins
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    You got 4 responses from DataStorm. He is a SteamREP admin, lol....
  16. MrPeepers S> 30+ UNUSUALS

Steam:

And you're the resident troll i presume? -_-
  17. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    He just answered your response. I don't see how that's trolling.
    Dronefly likes this.