1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted 76561198029862509 ๖Ątomic ΞPotato [PPM] (SR Scammer)

Discussion in 'Archived Appeals' started by MattE, May 22, 2013.

1. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34798390
    | steamname: ๖Ątomic ΞPotato [PPM]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:34798390
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029862509
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Atomic-Potato
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198029862509

First off, I'd like to say that it was a lack of judgement that got me here. I bought a Burning Flames Team Captain because I thought I could just add it to my growing collection and there would be no consequences. This was the biggest mistake I've ever made in TF2; if I could undo it, I would.
    However, I don't feel I deserve to be put on the same level as those who scam, hijack and chargeback along with other offences. I am what I consider a mostly trusted member of the community. People trust me not to chargeback on the various and many PayPal trades I've done (Rightfully so); People have trusted me with over 80 buds worth at a time, and lent me their unusuals, knowing they would be in safe hands.
    Now I feel this scammer tag would change all that. I am not denying what I have done wrong, and I have been open about what has gone wrong. I am not a bad person, I just messed up.
    If there is anything that could help put this right, let me know, as I am only too happy to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,
    -๖Ątomic ΞPotato
    Leves and SoldierClover like this.
  2. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    Because sadly, the best way of learning is through our own mistakes...
    Leves and SoldierClover like this.
  3. Redline

Redline New User

I am very disappointed at Atomic Potato for buying a scammer's Burning TC. I would expect better from him, though, to be fair, I don't think he deserves a scammer tag. I feel like SR has been handing out these scammer tags to people who don't even scam like free lollipops at the bank. The meaning of a scammer is an individual that gains monetary advantage over another by lying and cheating. People who buy off scammers don't scam, I'm not trying to justify their actions, its a horrible thing to do, but there should be some different tag if someone buys off a scammer, not the big red bold SCAMMER tag there is now, it just misleads a lot of people. There should be some punishment given to Atomic Potato, but a scammer tag is to harsh, and it misleads what really happen, even though there are notes on every SR page, its still misleading.
    SoldierClover likes this.
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Stop with the semantic gymnastics.

Facilitating a scammer is exactly the same as real world counterparts: Receiving stolen property or aiding and abetting a bank robber, and both are crimes at law.

As for Atomic Potato, he knows very well what is expected of a reputable trader, he has heard me (and others) outline exactly why one should never go near a deal like this. He has utterly no excuse and finds no sympathy with me.

I find it depressing how traders think they dance around the edges of ethics in this game, sociopaths aside, most people know right from wrong. I not only find SR's rules and methodology to be sound, in many respects I find them too lenient and I wish sharks could be handled directly by SR.
  5. Redline

Redline New User

Yes, he did do a wrong thing, but he didn't scam anyone. I know him very well, and he is a trust-worthy community member that has just fallen into some dark areas of trading. I completely agree that there should be a punishment, but a Scammer tag seems way to harsh in my eyes. I've always disagreed with your views Venny, and I believe that everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.
  6. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
  7. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    Can I also point out this thread : http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/...guy-with-no-name-cheers-mate-sr-caution.4405/ He bought off a SCAMMER, and only got a caution tag, even after he lied to the admins about it.
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/316193 Bought another unusual off a SCAMMER and got a 1 or 2 day warning.
    I really don't see why my case should be any different. You may argue that the hat is what makes the difference, but I would argue back that buying from a SCAMMER is still buying from a SCAMMER and helping a SCAMMER no matter what hat...
    I have been cooperative with the admins (Mattie can confirm this I hope) and admitting about what I've done.
  8. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    EDIT : And I am pretty sure I could give more examples if I did even a small amount of research.
  9. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    Another point to make is I wasn't trying to buy so I could sell on for profit, I was just trying to buy so that I could add to my growing collection of virtual items.
  10. MattE

MattE New User

Steam:
    Final point here. After finally reading up on the rules (I know, should've done this sooner) I saw that a first time offense only warrants a CAUTION tag, not a SCAMMER tag. Quote: "Cash trades: You will receive a CAUTION reputation tag for cash exchanges for high-value items with a marked scammer or obvious alternate scammer acount. Helping scammers profit is not something we can encourage."
    Furthermore, Winstone : http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198042111346 Was only banned for brokering and buying from SCAMMERs himself, so it's not like I bought from an actual SCAMMER myself; They never scammed anyone.
    I agree I made a mistake and should be punished but this is taking it too far...
  11. Scootalove

Scootalove New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:38119216
    I do trust SR for the most part, however I do worry about corruption with the "higher up" users. For instance, whats stopping a ticked off SR admin/moderator from giving you a tag because they don't like you or have some personal issue with you? I'm not pointing fingers, but I do kind of worry about that sort of thing.
  12. Redline

Redline New User

I also am worried about SR sometimes, after seeing what some of there admins do, I lose trust in the site day by day. I won't give any examples, though I know that there is corruption on the site, and simple traders like me and Scootalove can't do anything about it. Yes, we can bring up the topic and try to confront those who are corrupt, but it will just get hidden and forgotten in a few days, in this situation the community is powerless.
  13. Verve

Verve Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24913306
    I agree, and the fact that SO many servers rely on SteamRep for automatic server-wide bans. It's getting a little ridiculous. I scammed someone and now I can't access 20% of servers. Some automatically brand me with a scammer tag, understandably. It sure shouldn't take two months to get something like that removed-- especially when the only thing we're really waiting on here is the admins...
  14. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    So you scammed somebody and now you want to keep playing in public servers? The reason people run the plugin is because they trust the staff, the people here who donts seem to trust the staff are people who are marked as scammers. The reason you are banned from all those servers is because nobody wants to play and have the risk of playing with a scammer. You are a threat to the community when you are marked.
  15. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    People like you are the reason why the trading community went to absolute s✿✿✿.
    ForteSP likes this.
  16. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    SoldierClover and Sari like this.
  17. Redline

Redline New User

Acesgamer it's not cause of people like him that made trading go to s***, it's cause of people like you.
  18. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Sure man, whatever you say. I'm sure you have amazing well-founded arguments to back your claim.
  19. Redline

Redline New User

Well lets see, there's your trades with morning fox, then there's you abusing your admin power to help scammers. Why don't you go make a video explaining that to your viewers I'm pretty sure they would be interested to hear about it.
    Backseatsman and SoldierClover like this.
  20. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    What a wholesome productive discussion. Take it to a private chat. Locking the thread until an admin takes the appeal.