1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this player a scammer?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Fluffeh Bunnehs, May 26, 2013.

1. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44462529
    Good day. I encountered someone today who wished to buy my unusual. Simply put, they offered a hat they knew to be duped, and claimed it was not.
    Should any further action against this player be taken, such as a SR caution, or, despite being a jerk who partakes in willful deception, they did not do anything wrong?
  2. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    How do you know that they knew that said hat was duped?
  3. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Because I found their trade, noticed that one of their link to the history of the item they were selling was broken, provided them with a functional one, then they laughed at me, told me the hat was duped, and hid my post.
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11158502
    It was after that that I went and did a thorough check on my new hat, and discovered it was duped. I said that he denied it was duped before, however he did so in the trade window, which I did not save the chatlog of. But I'm not going to make you take my word for it. I found his trade he initially posted when he had his duped hat, and he declared it had not been duped there.
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11113444
  4. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Looks to me he closed that trade where he claimed it was clean pretty quickly. No responses or anything. It's quite possible he made a mistake...
  5. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Possibly, but that wouldn't explain why he lied to me in person.
  6. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Plus he could have just edited the trade notes. Or is that something you're just not meant to do?
  7. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Typically if someone misrepresents a trade, he/she could have their reputation hurt because of it, or get a final warning, etc. -- Depending on severity.

If you run into a case like this with solid evidence, clear screenshots, etc-- submit it as a report.

In this case with only what you listed, it's hard to know if this was a mistake or not, but if you have other evidence, feel free to submit it under Report a Scam.
  8. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    To be honest, I don't mind the trade too much. Duped hats aren't that much of a deal anymore, with the majority of people insisting it matters are those trying to legitimise their lowballing. What gets me is simply how I asked him straight up , and he lied blatantly. It is possible he genuinely didn't know, however given the evidence, it is much more likely, at least in my opinion, that he knew, and was just lying.
  9. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

Duped hats can get you to get permanently trade banned. Duped Vintages go for about 5% of clean ones. Duped hats have cause the market to tank.

Duped does matter, significantly, at this point in time.
  10. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Well that's odd, I don't know who to believe now : p
  11. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    A little bit of an update, if you will. I was bored, so checked his outpost trades, where he was advertising another "clean" hat for sale. I asked him how it was clean, despite it having been duped, and he hid it within minutes. So, I've posted the links to the backpack where you can find the copies of the hat, and am awaiting his response. More to follow.
    Should you wish to follow the story as it develops, here ya go:
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11176617
    Have a nice day : )
  12. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

That should read "duped RARE vintages" like vintage max head and vintage gibus etc, and it should read "they go for about 50% of clean ones".

the higher the value, the more ppl care about it if its a dupe. a simple duped Vintage tyrolean isn't going to bother anybody, but a unusual flaming tyrolean will. Why? cos on a expensive item ppl will research the history, who owned it, is it duped etc.
  13. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Well, like I said, I don't know what to believe. I hear some people saying that duped hats people mind less as they get more expensive, as they just want the hat, and some people (like you guys) saying that the cheaper the hat the less people care if its duped.
    Apologies, but I'm an unusual newb. I just want a bunny head, and then I'll probably get out of trading : p
  14. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    To anyone interested, he acknowledged my proof it was not clean, and decided to close the trade and start a new one, one which I hadn't posted on.
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11176617
    I'm not going to do anything for now, going to bookmark the trade and just watch to see if he is dishonest again. If anyone wants to feign interest, then ask him if it is clean, that would be swell, as we should be able to conclude this once and for all (hopefully).
    The new trade:
    http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/11180835
    Thanks again : )
  15. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    Well, I have confirmation that he is deliberately deceiving people. Where should I submit my report. Report a scam?
  16. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

jep
  17. McCreW

McCreW New User

I believe that this guy could have been new to unusual trading and the first trade he posted could have been a mistake.

Although it makes him look bad he could have just got into the game bought the hat via paypal, and didn't know how to check if this hat was clean. It does look like he corrected himself in the second trade so just,
    keep an eye out for him.
  18. Fluffeh Bunnehs

Fluffeh Bunnehs New User

Steam:
    As nice as it would be to be able to believe that, no, it's not possible. I added him using my alt that I use for storing crates, and asked him straight up, if the hat was duped. He said no, despite having been proven otherwise. You can read the full report I filed here:
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198023156474-max96pc.31392/
  19. McCreW

McCreW New User

Alright, I see now.