1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion to create a sticky thread on continued sharking thread

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Dronefly, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    This is CONSTANTLY brought up. Instead of tracking and reviewing cases on here, I think it would be great if you left a sticky thread for people to report and discuss sharking. Enough of the associate communities frequent here and would probably do their own investigations when they see fit and this way we can all stay informed and leave the admins of steamrep from having to deal with it and let the associate communities just read the thread and take appropriate actions. And since this is a permanent sticky thread then it is solid ongoing evidence that will always be there. Any thoughts guys?
  2. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    I assume this thread is in response to the one i just posted. I had not realized how often that questions like mine are brought up, but the few i did look through did not seem to take the same viewpoint as i did, so thats why i made the thread. I'm sorry if i posted it on the wrong website. i was just curious on how the aspect of tagging users for sharking would work. A stick would be nice for things like this. Again, my appoligies.
  3. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    not at all i think we need to keep this topic of convo on this site even though steamrep doesnt track and tag sharkers
  4. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    I do not have a problem at all with this idea but I must ask, at what point does the responsibility shift from the buyer/seller to the community? Sharking, to me, is mostly about one of the 2 parties not doing their homework. While this can apply to scamming as well, it is a whole lot easier to find the price that's currently accepted by the majority of people than to avoid a scam. Their is also the issue of some higher tier items where the value can vary widely depending on who is listing that price, which can create an accusation of sharking as well. While I hate sharking for all the normal reasons I am not at all sure how it can be dealt with by the community in a fair and partial manner. When does it become sharking instead of looking for a good deal? Some times it is easy to see that, some times it is not.

As much as I hate to say this, and I only mean it in a long term lesson learned way, sometimes getting sharked is the best medicine one can take to learn to do it right. I am by no means saying let it happen, but I am concerned about replacing ones own responsibility to ones own actions with a community that will..... not sure how to say it..... act where....will create as many headaches as it deals with....... Not what I am trying to get at but I hope the idea of what I am failing to say is understood.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I do hope that was a mistake, and you meant "impartial"
    Sjru likes this.
  6. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Currently the way sharking is handled community wide just doesn't work, and it isn't an easy fix.

There are things happening in the background, I spoke at length to Penguin about future directions the other day, trouble is what we would like to achieve won't happen overnight. Work in progress I guess :)
  7. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    Ahh typos, yes I meant impartial.
  8. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    We are not going to take reports or host discussions for cases of sharking here, if you are so inclined, make your own site/forums.