1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trade ban for free Steam keys ?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Frenzytrade, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Frenzytrade

Frenzytrade New User

Hye all,

Being new to this forum so I start off by saying hello to all of you.

I have a question,
    I traded with someone 1 Steam game for 1 Steam game and when the trade ended I decided to give the guy that traded with me some free leftover keys. I had some leftover keys I would never use.

Can I get a trade ban and/or negative rep if one of the free keys don't work or are duplicate ?

The free keys were given once the trade was over and I asked the one whom traded with me If he was interested in some free keys.

BTW typo in the topic: Trade ban for free Steam keys ?
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

What you give away for free is not part of trade agreement if it was not included in the original deal.
    If it was included, there may be a problem, what you give for free is all what one would take.

I'd only say to the guy: maybe some don't work, I don't know.
  3. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    As DS says, if the game keys were nothing to do with the original deal, of course you are fine, working or not, they were "free" after all.
  4. Frenzytrade

Frenzytrade New User

I specifically told the guy that these are free keys and I don't want anything for it and he can do whatever he wants with them. I told them that they should be unused. But as we all know I cannot, no-one can ever verify a key is really working until it is used...
    He can't blame me for a not working free Steam key ?
  5. Frenzytrade

Frenzytrade New User

Glad to hear that :) . Glad to hear he has no right to complain about free Steam keys.:):):)
    And Yes, the original agreement was 1 game for 1 game (free keys excluded).
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Oh, complain he might, but it isn't valid.
  7. Frenzytrade

Frenzytrade New User

That is really good news. He will also need a screen shot from the conversation, not some copy+paste (manipulation possible).
    Hehe, the conversation stated the keys were for free. I got myself worried for nothing.
    Thank you DataStorm (and others) for your fast reply(-s). :)
  8. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    Thats like saying, if I give you a free gameboy, and it doesn't work, am I responsible to replace it? Of course not! Good thing you asked here as he may complain (even though they were free)
  9. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Or just don't deal with keys at all, they are impossible to prove if they are good or not, and even if so, they later can be used to hijack accounts.
    ForteSP likes this.
  10. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    Steam Games can be used to hijack accounts? Or are you talking about codes?
  11. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

When writing a ticket to support inquiring the status of an account (ban, hijacked, etc.) they ask you for a CD key activated onto your account along with a picture of the box/humble bundle/location, etc that the code came from.

If you purchase a CD key the user who sold it to you can give that to valve say a year or whatever after sale and claim your account is actually THEIR account and give the CD key as evidence. Valve could believe them and restore the account to the wrong owner. This happened to my friend about a year ago.
  12. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    Oh wow. I've sold keys before. I need to make sure not to do this anymore. Thanks for the advice!