1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Market Unusual Trade

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by [nG.] Astradamus, Jun 11, 2013.

1. [nG.] Astradamus

[nG.] Astradamus Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17413984
    What if scammer selling unusuals on market? Steamrep isn't works with this.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We'll mark valve, they worked as a MM to it.
  3. [nG.] Astradamus

Steam:
    Then so if somebody is marked as scammer, he get ban for post offers?
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Humoristic sarcasm, it outdoes normal sarcasm by a mile for being the hardest understandable.
  5. [nG.] Astradamus

Steam:
    I'm just asking because I do not want to have taken away the last place to trade
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We're still discussing that internally. Locked for this topic won't go anywhere.
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Even if discussing internally, I think community input would help us come up with better/more meaningful policy. At least we may be able to address specific issues that we otherwise were unaware of or overlooked.

/reopened as long as their is no shitposting
  8. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    IMO there is nothing you can or should do - this falls on Valve. Valve can trade ban you which prevents you from going on the market but that is about it.
    Personally I don't like the idea of using the market to begin with since it gives Valve a big cut in anything you sale and you can only use the funds to go right back into their pockets. Now I like Valve, they are a good company but there should be a way to with drawl the funds back from the wallet to the verified payment source such as paypal or Visa.

This is something better left alone and not even brought up.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    It isn't so clear cut.

Valve is able to remove users who breech TOS as they see fit, however their reach is limited. SteamRep on the other hand has as its focus: warning, educating the community, and almost everything scam related falls within its bailiwick.

The Steam Market is nothing more than another mechanism for selling, it is no different from a Paypal transaction in the sense that trading with scammers is possible. To say the onus is upon Valve alone is patently silly, by this convention SR would not exist given Valve control every aspect of TF2.

The sanctions Valve imposes are nothing to do with the service SR provides to the community, the criteria used by both is wholly dissimilar in many respects.

Checking SR ID blocks of sellers on the Steam Market is no more difficult than checking a profile, and the same warning/caution/tag system should apply. Certain scam related activities have been historically hard for SR to handle directly, "sharking" for example, but Steam Market trading present no such complexity at all, and to ignore it opens a Pandora's box which ultimately would reflect poorly on us all.
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I feel like SR should have a very limited hand in any steam market transactions. If someone sees hat there and buys it. That's fine. However, I'm concerned about how we will tell an item was traded via steam market. But honestly. What is a scammer going to do with steam wallet? Who knows. They'll find a way to turn that into $$$ somehow.....

In my perfect SR world (most likely different than others). The only time SR would touch steam market is if someone was found to have multiple multiple multiple items from the same account (all purchased via market) to suggest an alt or broker or purposeful avoidance of an SR mark in many trades with scammers.
  11. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I don't agree with this at all, The market they allow now with Valve getting a cut of the funds falls back on them and them alone. You can't scam someone thru the market plain and simple therefore its in its own world and league.
  12. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    You miss the point entirely. Valve can do whatever they want with anyone anywhere in the game: it is their game hence TOS :)

SR serves a different role and part of that role is preventing tagged players from profiting and using proxies. The Market is just another avenue for scammers to offload goods, and it is easy to purchase games and resell. SR cannot prevent scammers from selling on the market, but most certainly it can warn/caution/tag for buying from them, or didn't you read my previous post?
  13. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Market history?

market history.png

markethistory2.png
    DataStorm and ForteSP like this.
  14. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

Oh lovely! I didn't even know that existed. I've had no reason to even go to the market since I've been banned for ages. Guess that takes out my personal biggest concern. Nevertheless, my opinion remains the same.