1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Decision Valve made to clear resent usernames

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Tumor, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Tumor

Tumor Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:179643005
    I found that the option to erase all previous usernames you've had kind of a bad idea. As scammers can clear recent usernames. Does anyone else see it as kind of a problem?
  2. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    That would have been a Valve/Steam decision. SteamRep is not affiliated with Valve/Steam and have no authority over their decisions. Also profiles that are searched on steamrep multiple times would still show a history of the names they were using at the time of those searches as the information updates. I can see where it would cause a hiccup in some reports, however I see it in my personal opinion as small hindrance overall.

The opinions expressed here are mine and do not reflect or incur SteamRep's opinion on the change. However it is factual they are not directly affiliated with Valve/Steam
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:162125880
    yeah to be honest i'm not even sure why valve added it. it seems to have no use besides benefitting scammers. that said it's sad we can't remove it
  4. LiamPro

LiamPro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:482682327
    Due to the influx of support tickets Steam has received to delete alias history they've added a button allowing people to do it themselves.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Just my opinion but that wasn't needed to do - they only had to make it so you could change nicknames once maybe every 90days which would have cut down on a ton of abuse/scammer related impersonation uses.

again - just my opinion
  6. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    Agreed it would benefit SR. However it may be a regulator reason why they placed it. Also don't forget even though the list is cleared publicly, it is still available on Valve's back end. So impersonation reports to Valve can be handled the same regardless.

It's a mild inconvenience to SR if the profile was never searched on SR while impersonating. IMO it would be only a matter of time before a profile is searched on SR while impersonating leaving a history here.
  7. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:162125880
    this'd still cause issues to legitamite users though which kinda sucks.

i clear my names so that if i alias or just mess around do something funny people don't think that used to be my main name and have now changed it.
    would be coolest to stop scamming is if it logged *all* name changes (including using the same name multiple times)