1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Scammers 101

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by CoLizioN cs.money, Oct 9, 2016.

1. CoLizioN cs.money

CoLizioN cs.money New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102593972
    Hey guys! Welcome to my remastered version of a guide I've made, but I went over my head on making it. So, further a do, let's get started!

Scammers 101 w/ CoLizioN
    Hello! If you couldn't have guessed who I am by the title, my name is CoLizioN! I've encountered all kinds of scams, from ones that you could tell within a couple of seconds that it is fake, to ones that I nearly fell for it. This guide is to show what kinds of scams I know of, and how to prevent them.

Scam 1 : Item Verification
    The first scam I will talk about is one so many people are encountering today. It is the Item verification scam. This scam is where people will add you up and ask for you to send your item to a "valve employee" to be verified. When I heard the part about the valve employee, I was literally this:
    [​IMG]
    To think that valve would actually care about a trade.. Makes me laugh so hard that it's kind of insulting to the people at Valve.

An easy way to prevent this is once they say the words "Item Verification", slam the door right in their face and in the tiny window of the door, raise the finger at them.

Scam 2 : Gambling Site
    Another common scam out there is the fake gambling site one, where some kid from Russian comes up to you and tells you that he opened up a gambling site and will give you a free win if you promote his website or some s*** like that. Of course, the moment you insert that rare item of yours in the deposit section of this site, you can wave "bye bye" to it because it's gone forever.
    [​IMG]
    An easy way to prevent this scam is to remove them once you hear the scam. Unless your a big streamer or Youtuber, you shouldn't do it. Hell, even if you are one you'd be involved in a massive scandal for stealing skins if it were true.

Scam 3 : Dota 2 Items
    Ah yes, the famous Dota 2 game. A game that I will never understand no matter how long I play it. This scam is where someone finds some random Dota item that has never been sold for the history of the game being released on the market, and setting the price to something extreme. The price is usually near the knife price. Usually, the person would have an item that you would take immediately if offered for your item. Except in this situation you don't get it offered for your item. You get it offered for someone else's item. And wouldn't you know it, it is a Dota item. If you accept this trade, the person would have their item and yours.
    [​IMG]
    What you can do is tell them that your not trading cross-game, and if your lucky they will immediately block you and go to the next 9 year old on the internet.

Thanks for reading my guide on scams! If you have any situations that I haven't put in, be sure to leave it down in the comments so I will add it to a later version of this!
  2. CoLizioN cs.money

CoLizioN cs.money New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:102593972
    Also whenever I try posting on the guides section it says there is a error server.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    That's because we use a reverse proxy (cloudflare) that has some protections set up to protect our forums from certain types of attacks. Cloudflare blocks then the post, and the browser tries to get the new page with your reply etc which doesn't work.

The reason is often special characters, layout and other stuff that is non-text. The best solution is post a empty post, edit it and paste the full post. (Don't remember if we still have the OP open to the poster to be edited in this subforum. It was back in the day, but the forums have been under a audit several times now, and I didn't keep up with that. If not you have only like 2 minutes to do so)
  4. Zoof

Zoof New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23192
    I usually copy my work to clipboard when using the text box and refresh before submitting or do the work in a notepad and then copy paste and submit when im done on sites that have cloudflare enabled, note those too if you want and if you find them helpful.