1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Keeping past accusations on someone's Steam rep profile

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Meltron, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23950450
    I was wondering, what you think about keeping informations about past bans on someone's steam rep profile.
    So, for example, if someone is banned by Valve, he gets marked as a scammer on sr. However, if Valve removes their trade restriction, they will loose their tag on sr, as well.
    I don't dislike this, but maybe it would be nice, if you could see, if someone was banned before. I know, a great argument against this would be, that people would have a general mistrust against this person and their repute would be harmed in some way, although this person wouldn't be really have a bad reputation, then.
    Still, I would find this helpful, as people would be more careful and could decide better, whether they should trust someone or not, because they have more information about someone's "past".

I'm new to the forums, so I apologize, if this is an invalid suggestion or was mentioned before.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Hmm, no. Valve controls their tags entirely. Us keep tagging a account because it had such in the past would not make sense in the end.
  3. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    Hm, ok. But thanks for the achievement.^^
  4. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

what achievement?
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Valve is the ultimate arbiter and has more tools than SR at its disposal. If Valve chooses to remove a ban (either because it was unfounded or deemed to have served its purpose), I do not see any reason for the individual concerned to be permanently tainted in the wider community. The function of SR is quite different to Valve.
  6. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    The trophy for first comment :)

Well, I just think, that Valve is not strict enough with trade bans. They seem to "automatically", or in a way I don't understand, remove bans after some while or change them to probation, even when it was like clear to me that someone was a scammer.
    As an example, I reported someone who was trying to scam me and they banned him, but after a while, they removed his ban. I sadly had closed the chat with this person by accident and therefore I had no proof to provide here (This was before they made it possible to view the last few pieces of the chat).
    Well, I agree with you that Valve has the best informations about possible scams and of course I cannot prove that Valve (always) unbans people, although they're "guilty".
    My dilemma is, that I am pretty sure that this person, who tried to scam me, would be marked on steam rep now, if I could show you the chat log with them. I can not really comprehend, why Valve permanently bans someone that cheats in one of their games, e.g. with aimbot, but is quiet courteous with trade bans. Well, as you said, VenGanZa, it might be true, that Valve might have found out, that their ban was unfounded, however, then I don't understand, why they ban people so fast; just as "prevention"?
    Maybe my problem is more to understand Valve's policy, than a problem you could help me with, but thank you both for your fast respond.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

With multiple offenses, Steam Support is really not that lenient. While SR is less forgiving, for we have no real effect on accounts, just where they can go around, Valve's is quite more invading, for that blocks usage of the account. They therefore have to be a bit lenient with first timers, but once that becomes a pattern, that can be permanent.

and yes, its automatically, they just set a timer on accounts to get lifted Valve Trade bans after x time to probations etc. Trade lock isn't expiring, for they want you to make a ticket to steam support then to explain yourself.
  8. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    I don't think that SR is less forgiving, and I like that. Of course, you don't have such great influence as Valve has, but your bans are comprehensible and permanent. Well, I understand, if Valve is lenient with new scammers, however, as I said before, then I don't understand, why they permanently ban cheaters. Cheating players are annoying to everyone else, still they don't really do "economical damage" like stealing items, which may be only virtual, but still are worth real money for a lot of people. Therefor, I don't understand their policy.
    In addition, I do not request, really marking someone, that was banned before by Valve, but I would like it, if people could see, that he used to be banned. As a consequence, people would be more careful and could decide for themself, if that person is suspicious or not.

Still, thank you for taking your time to read my comments and that interesting fact about Valve's automatic expiry system.
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Cheating players are just that, they have detections in place to check for certain cheats, so if those are there, that is a definitive answer. It is also near fully automatic. Only once in a very long while somebody will get a manual VAC ban. The last manual one I know is DF for cheating his way into a Golden Wrench, but its only known because that one was so public.
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    As of late they haven't been very lenient to people with no offenses, either *cough*.
  11. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
  12. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
  13. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    Actually, you can see past bans in the person's History dropdown usually. It doesn't stand-out per se but what I do is take random samples every three weeks or so from the history to see if there was a trade ban or the like applied.
  14. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    Did not know about that; I guess I should have found it myelf.^^
    In this case then, my suggestion would be, to make these informations more "visible", so that people like me can immediately see it.
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    I don't like this idea at all, frankly. Nothing more to say.... Other than nope.
  16. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    The origin of your opinion is a mystery to us all.
    Meltron likes this.
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Hmm, making history verbose is beyond our intend, for the current tags on somebody is what we support. Past markings for being hijacked, false accusations, or appeals granted for honest appealants are not supposed to be something to hold against somebody. While Helen's explanation about Valve trade bans is much true (we ask appealants about those), for the public the same applies.

Another consideration is that the public notes of the past are not shown either with historic views, so if some note is there, or links then you won't see that in history views.

I see no added value to show such info to the public, not when we support the current ones till we decide otherwise. Ofcourse there is the problem of pending reports not yet applied, but we only have 1 Helen.
  18. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    But you have several other admins ;)
  19. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    No disrespect to the other admins, but the statement stands true: "...but we only have 1 Helen". :)
  20. Meltron

Meltron New User

Steam:
    Well, 116 pending reports is quiet a lot.