1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What kind of scam is this?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by pBratva | Green Arrow, Jun 24, 2022.

1. pBratva | Green Arrow

pBratva | Green Arrow New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48033794
    So, i got added by a pretty boring/empty account with not much stuff on it, i usually accept friend requests because people for some reason are really happy to collect high level friends.

Then i woke up to this message:
    "
    [8:23 PM]
    Polaretti:
    hi bro sorry for question this but i need to ask you if you bought this account because i have one friend that tell me he sold her old account and this is the account.
    "

Now, it's impossible to link an actual Steam account to an actual Steam profile, and my name/profile themselves are uniqu.
    Needless to say, my account is mine, never bought an account, had it for years and never plan on doing any kind of account transaction.

I am not scared or anything, i am just curious what's the mechanism of the scam, if anyone encountered something similar.

More so, i just want a confirmation this dude is a scammer so i can waste his time a bit :)
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I can't tell by what you said alone - if I had to guess they were just feeling around about perhaps buying your account since its 10years old.
    I'd just delete them and ignore them. I do NOT recommend the wasting someones time bit
  3. pBratva | Green Arrow

pBratva | Green Arrow New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48033794
    Fair enough, thanks for the reply.