1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What to do with digital scammer

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by thief101, Oct 10, 2016.

1. thief101

thief101 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:9023536
    I understand it's hard to prove scammer when the digital items have been revoked, but there is enough evidence against a certain person:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    This person (formerly known as
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    was among the first to trade key copies of Gears of War 4 on SteamGifts. Needless to say, this was before the Amazon Glitch
    Hidden Content:
    was known. Only very, very few people knew of it at the time of my trade...

Hidden Content:
    told me how he bought 2 video cards (had 2 keys for Gears of War 4) and was willing to trade for 10 CS:GO keys (https://i.gyazo.com/10df50e86660dcb4904cbfb6b126fcd7.png). He seemed new to trading and just didn't care about the game (he said). Those 10 keys per copy were enough to get a nice discount on the cards, etc.

I fell for it. And so did many others
    Hidden Content:
    . Only 2 people who have traded with him during that period of time didn't change their feedback to positive, and funnily enough: BOTH of those people are still friends with him on Steam... By the time I found out about the glitch, I tried re-adding
    Hidden Content:
    : and the result: he didn't accept my friend request and blocked me. I changed my feedback from positive to negative (obviously, since I'd been lied to). Another person had changed his feedback to negative too by then. Anyway, fast forward days later, the Gears of War 4 copies had been revoked from people's accounts. Here's proof: https://i.gyazo.com/7b54f9185715dde8ede08ea7a49e401e.jpg.

I found out that shortly after the scams were made, he sold 65 CS:GO keys to another Steam member
    Hidden Content:
    I also found out that he scammed other people from other communities (He is permanently banned from MPGH for creating a PayPal chargeback:
    Hidden Content:
    I reported
    Hidden Content:
    on SteamGifts and Steam over a week ago. Neither have taken action. This scammer is still at large, possibly scamming others one way or another.

I don't plan on seeing my 10 CS:GO keys ever again, and I'm very upset I didn't document the conversation with him (while getting Gears of War 4), but I did not expect this at all. I also understand that I cannot make a report on him since it was a key code, but I do think that with the clear amount of negative feedback and people saying he is a scammer, it is enough to make a conclusion on your own.

So here I am, asking for your opinion on what should be done with a scammer like
    Hidden Content:
    Thank you for reading this.

MOD EDIT TO REMOVE REFERENCES TO USER
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  2. thief101

thief101 New User

Steam:
    P.S.: After re-reading this, I noticed it was a little unclear. He said he had 2 Gears of War 4 keys. I purchased 1 of the keys for 10 CS:GO keys. (Little did I know that he had much more than just 2 keys, and was scamming people left and right).
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  3. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    SteamRep relies on evidence-based decision-making. We cannot adjust or lower our standards for submitted evidence without thorough debate and discussion. Convicting and marking accused users based on flimsy evidence means more time spent reviewing and granting appeals, where appellants will argue that the evidence in their case is circumstantial.

In the future, please document everything.
  4. thief101

thief101 New User

Steam:
    I understand you. I just hope this scammer doesn't keep getting away with murder, as he's been given more than several free passes from unsuspecting traders like myself (as you could see with the links I have provided in my original post).
  5. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    SR isn't here to punish people, but rather to warn the community about potential threats (scammers).
  6. thief101

thief101 New User

Steam:
    It's not about punishing. It's about "warning the community about potential threats" as you put it. This post is to warn others about a certain Steam user who scammed several people. I was hoping there could be something to it (an unconfirmed report or something along the lines), just to give people a heads up on who they might be dealing/trading with. But then again, the rules are the rules. Since there isn't conversation evidence with the scammer, and it being a CD-Key scam and rules saying you can't judge on it... I guess it's a lost cause. Sorry for bothering you guys. I just hope nobody falls on that scammer - it really stings when you get scammed out of money like I was (I had to buy those 10 CS:GO keys).
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    We do not accept reports dealing with cd keys, game codes, steam codes, Pin codes etc.. due to change of policy.

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/investigative-policy.140101/

You can't just go around making General Forum posts because of that - or anyone else for that matter to draw attention to someone here.
    If we start allowing this then we would be flooded with General Forum threads of random users that had reports rejected for the above policy all over the place.
    So I've taken the liberty to hide all of the references to his user but your welcome to continue discussing the topic at this point.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  8. Zoof

Zoof New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23192
    Communities can't do much about scams involving CDkeys, the ban you mentioned occurred on MPGH should be enough warning cause when users research the user they will come across the fact he's banned from that forum. If someone you know gets scammed by the user in the future and it's item related encourage them to collect all possible evidence and submit it here on SteamREP.