1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to Recover from a Hijack in 2017

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by pbjbun, Feb 4, 2017.

1. pbjbun

pbjbun New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:202240808
    The reason for this guide's creation is that times have changed and so has the support system.

I will simplify this guide as much as possible.

Preperation:
    Before we go into the steps you will need to make to recover your Steam Account, we will need to discuss what information you will need before initiation of the process.

Here is a list of the information you will need to prepare:
    • A current fully secured e-mail (not your steam e-mail)
    • The first e-mail or last e-mail you have linked to your account
    • The Phone Number you used on the Account (if applicable)
    • Full name, address used on Account
    • Last 4 digits of Credit/Debit card (if applicable)
    • A PayPal Transaction number if applicable (18 digits all numbers)
    Another thing is you need to ensure your PC is clear of any infections. You can utilize tools such as Hitman Pro, Malware Bytes, Kaspersky TDSS Killer, and etc to do so.

Step1.
    Visit https://help.steampowered.com/ (Make sure you are not logged into any Accounts)

Step2.
    Click option "Help, I can't sign in"

Step3.
    Click option "I forgot my Steam Account name or password"
    You may be wondering why we aren't clicking option "My Steam Accoint was stolen and I need help recovering it"
    The answer is that doing so will take you to the incorrect form that assumes you have restored e-mail access and have full control and no other options are offered taking you into a what we call a support loop so please do not deviate from the instructions unless you want frustration.

Step4.
    Enter your account name and complete the captcha

Step5.
    Click option "I no longer have access to the e-mail address"

Step6.
    Fill out all applicable information, after completion you will receive e-mail contact from the team and you will click a link to see their replies.

You have completed all the steps and will receive communications from support via e-mail supplied in first field.

Additional Note:
    If you have a "Low Digit ID" or otherwise transfered Steam Account, support will refuse to assist you and they will let you know via reply that their records indicate that you do not own the account.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    This assumes that the email address isn't accessible/recoverable by the user. Otherwise it's ok. The one I wrote was more central to getting rid of possible malware or continue on a PC that is (most likely) not infected with malware or a RAT before starting to recover it.
  3. pbjbun

pbjbun New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:202240808
    Yes, because if they have access to the e-mail it's a two step process. Keep in mind a large portion of your guide is now not relevant and I am posting how to perform the recovery not giving tips additional to it. Alot of users are becoming prone to the support loop.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    If malware with which the hijack was performed isn't removed, then performing recovery of the account is useless. For you will have to assume that the hijacker can see the data send to Valve as well, hijacks the account again, but now has the information to keep it. Therefore I don't see the point of recovering the account before the PC is cleared from malware.