1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

My steam guide on common scamming tactics, and how to avoid them.

Discussion in 'SteamRep Guides' started by Daebolal, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Daebolal

Daebolal New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46343440
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Paypal scam:
    Assumption that every paypal offer is a scam is a bit too far imo. There are loads of communities involved with such. If not trusting, find a middleman.

Phishing:
    There are also intricate ones where they convince somebody to install a "beta" version of a known product for the "server" is on that "version" etc. If getting pointed to such, let people find it themselves via google. I'm btw also in the process of writing a guide on how to recover from being hijacked. Just a steam ticket will get them their account back, but not their computer clean from viruses or malware that got them hijacked. http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/how-to-recover-from-a-hijack.86363/ its not finished yet, for its pretty hard to make for this topic a good guide.

Impersonation:
    - Valve employees indeed have that badge. But they won't contact people out of themselves. For they have all access already... they really don't need to "inspect" anything for they can if they wish just let such item drop for themselves.
    - More of a problem is impersonation of admins of various communities.

Reporting:
    Also here on SteamRep, with exception of the Phishing and Sharking.
  3. Daebolal

Daebolal New User

Steam:
    I'll work on it immediately, since the guide's been dead for a while, I haven't been able to find any critiques, and yours was the kind I was looking for, thanks sir.
    EDIT: May I use the Middlemen link on the main Steamrep site as a list of middlemen for my guide?
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    yeah. But ppl will have a hard time getting one of 'm. Better to find some reputable traders with real rep threads on communities like SourceOP etc.
  5. Daebolal

Daebolal New User

Steam:
    Alrighty, guide's been reupdated abit, according to what you said, what do you think?