1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

why is discord not a valid source to report scammers?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by sjobenrit, Nov 3, 2021.

1. sjobenrit

sjobenrit New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:121109072
    guy added me on steam, said hey lets use discord, turned out to be a big scammer and when I saw through his little farcade he unfriended me. I think I have enough proof with the discord logs + his accounts combined (he used a fake trading bot) so why cant I use discord as a source?
  2. ♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪

♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:97556221
    a Gentleman likes this.
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    We do not accept reports from other platforms because it's not practical to vet that evidence.

If the evidence is discussed within the Steam chat, with everything clearly documented in the trade agreement (e.g. PayPal email), we can review it if its authenticity comes into dispute. Once the conversation is taken to Skype, Discord, Facebook, another game, or voice chat ect, the accused person gains plausible deniability. If they claimed in an appeal that's not what they said, or messages were deleted or tampered with, or that Discord account wasn't theirs (Discord and Facebook are practically training wheels for impersonation scams, with no reliable way to verify authenticity and identity) then it becomes the reporter's word against the accused, and we have no way of proving or disproving otherwise.

We recommend that when trading in Steam, you keep everything within the Steam platform.

If the person you're trading with insists on keeping everything in voice chat, Skype, Discord, Facebook, or anyplace other than Steam, then you should simply refuse to trade. It not only hurts our efforts since we cannot accept those reports, but it also thwarts Steam Support's ability to validate claims of fraud if you take the whole conversation off the platform where they could verify your evidence against their server logs.

Scammers go off of Steam to cover their tracks, and they always have done so. A long time ago, before CS:GO trading was well known/so popular, if someone asked you to move to Skype/Ventrillo/Facebook, it was a HUGE red flag you were about to get scammed, and most traders knew to call shenanigans and cut ties at that point.