1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

SCAMMER PWNED

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Dronefly, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I appreciate that. That is a very kind gesture you are doing.
  2. Dronefly

Steam:
    This thread is not my appeal thread. It is a general discussion (hence I posted in general discussion) on how we can stop scammers.
  3. Dronefly

Steam:
    Hi Helen,

Here is something I did. It's a guide to scammers and how to be ready for them based on today's current scamming technicques (not all are covered such as the quick swap but that is just due to a persons negligence. Steam CLEARLY states to review a trade before clicking accept).
    http://forums.acefortress.com/index...-to-trading-and-how-to-protect-yourself.2552/

I also recommend if you guys want to take a proactive approach. I know you can not enforce your messages and your forum of help to be slapped in everyone's faces because you are not integrated into valve's system but offering server owners incentives is a good way to get a general message out to the trade servers when people log on to them. The message of the day is afterall a very usefull place to get noticed and in the automated message that keeps looping. Why not have a "anti-scammer" section / campaign where you list all servers that support your anti-scammer policies. If they link to your "how to avoid scamming FAQ (which should be both video and written)" they get added to that list of servers. This is a great way to give free advertising incentives to trade oriented game servers that want to protect their patrons and provide them a clean safe trading environment. Same with the forums. Have a "anti spam gold platinum" etc level where each forum, the more they endorse and advertise how to avoid scamming the higher their rank is. In return they get advertised in more sections of steamrep.

That is one example of a more proactive approach. How to get in the face of traders without putting a lock on their account. Some trade servers have rules where you have to hit agree to proceed. Have them incorporate a link to "safe and secure trading policies to help you safely trade" or whatever you want to name it.

Anyways. throwing some ideas in the air. I never asked that people become vigilantes like i did. I asked that this topic be discussed and a new resolution be made on how to help make it harder on scammers to scam where as in return scammers now have less interest in doing it. I know some career ones are unavoidable but how many dumb scammers like the one I came across will simply disappear if we make the easy scams impossible to pull off?
    Spyromancer likes this.
  4. Pintend

Pintend New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:18565370
  5. Dronefly

Steam:
    Thank you. I think it needs to be properly displayed and elaborated as more scams come to.
  6. Dronefly

Steam:
    can someone close this thread. I started a new thread which is less hostile and more directed to the reason why i started this thread.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Closed thread by request and a remark: the thread should have been closed way earlier.
    I skimmed the first few pages, and I fully support Matty and other admins in their decision.
    We have the rules:
    - Do not scam (anybody, not even scammers)
    - Do not trade with scammers
    And from what I read, those where broken.

We cannot have the vigilante's out. Valve trade bans more and more, and its a punishment thats quite final.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.