1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Quick plugin question!

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Burnt Waflles, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32594014
    Are players who are "banned by valve" with a trade ban allowed through the SR plugin?

This individual http://steamrep.com/search?q=STEAM_0:1:53094961 joined our servers and was mic spamming. after multiple warnings and kicks, he was banned, but we noticed it was odd that he had this mark.

So is this mark ignored by the plugin? Or do I have it improperly configured in our servers?

Any insight would be appreciated so that i may fix any error on my part.
  2. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    As stated on the /plugin/ page for SteamRep, it only queries the SR database for known scammers. I am not sure, correct me if wrong, but I believe that mark is ignored by the plugin itself.
  3. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Yeah, I am aware it checks the database, but i was unaware if valve trade bans (since they still get a "mark") were also added into the same database as everyone else. Helen told me the valve bans are pulled straight from the API, so it may very well bypass the SR database.

However, she was not 100 percent sure if they were included, so I was merely questioning out of curiosity. I guess trade banned players cant trade, so there is not much worry about them scamming, but like in this situation, they can still come in and potentially cause problems
  4. Hitman Sparky

Hitman Sparky User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13772726
    For that situation, you already predefined server rules players have to abide by. Make sure they follow it. And if they don't, it's you and your other staffs' discretion what to do with the 'naughty' player(s) who enter your server.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

SR plugin only detects Scammer tags of SR and communities. It does not for Valve Trade ban or Valve trade Probation. This is because that requires another query from SR to the Steam API, which would delay it way too much, and would overshoot the common "allowance" of usage of the Steam API (~100.000 API requests a day).
    If communities want to ban for those tags, it will be easy for them to make a plugin that uses their own API key to query the Steam API without burdening ours.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    This unofficial SR plugin will allow you to exclude tradebanned users:

https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1905411

We're not yet officially recommending using that plugin, but it does cover the case you want if it's important to keep tradebanned users off of your server.

The official SR API that the plugin uses doesn't include the tradebanned state as if it's a scammer-- we can't keep it perfectly in-sync and it's best to get it from Valve's API.
  7. Burnt Waflles

Burnt Waflles New User

Steam:
    Alright thanks guys, We don't mind that it doesn't pull from valve's trade bans, it is very rarely an issue. I was just wanting to find out if it was intentional or I somehow messed up the plugin and it wasn't working right. Thanks for everyone clearing that up!