1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is it possible to get trade banned from trading with Russians?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Stumpy, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Stumpy

Stumpy New User

I've read comments from people on other forums stating that you could get banned for trading with Russians, as they get games at a much cheaper price (other countries have this too). However, I've read steams trading policy and their (eu) subscriber agreement and I can't find where it says that this is a punishable offense. From what I have read you can be punished if the seller purchased the game fraudulently (eg carding) or if you paid for the game with cash (eg paypal) but not when trading/gifting for a legit copy of the game.

Have I understood this properly? It wouldn't make sense if valve didn't mind losing money over such transactions.
  2. McCreW

McCreW New User

I don't think this is true, it's unlikely that it is.
  3. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

Generally, people say that because a lot of items out of Russian markets tend to be dirty.
  4. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    Honestly, if you trade with any Russian players, as long as they are clean and aren't trying to sell items that would violate Steam's Trading Policy and Subscriber agreement, you'll be fine. So you understood correctly.
  5. Harmony

Harmony New User

Brought here with a similar question - almost a week ago I "bought" a couple of gift games using PayPal for the first time ever. Everything went smoothly, no scams, but when I did it I was unaware that this might be against ToS and get me Steam banned. I went and read the ToS as soon as I found this out and, as OP stated, there's nothing in the ToS that prohibits out-of-client purchase of these games, just selling (though I'm sure it could be translated as both in practice), but I got really paranoid and am now too scared to activate in case of the clause from this SteamPowered article:

"Redeeming Fraudulent Gifts
    Never accept a gift from an unknown user. Any accounts tied to a redeemed gift from a fraudulent source may be suspended."

I am fairly certain that the games were legitimately acquired, though due to the prices, they were probably Russian in origin. So now they are just sitting in my inventory feeling like a ticking time bomb, haha. Is there a serious likelihood that I will suffer negative consequences for having these in my inventory, or is it just redemption that could get me banned? Or, can you only get banned if they are "fraudulent?" Do Russian games count as "fraudulent?" They are not region-restricted gifts. I read in the extended FAQ that action could be taken in up to 90 days...is that actually a hard upper limit? And final question for ease of mind: can anyone actually point to a person/case who was banned for purchasing (purchasing only, not trading/selling to someone else) a legitimate gift game using PayPal (that wasn't hijacked or stolen or anything)? I keep reading that you CAN be banned but haven't been able to find a concrete case that didn't have conflating reasons.

Sorry for my paranoia; I just want to enjoy my Steam account without fear again!
  6. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    I have done a lot of trades with russians, and never got a warning or a ban for it, what is important here is to know who you deal with, there are some legit russian traders who is 100% safe and good people, sadly there is also a LOT of not legit traders.

So check up on who you trade with or ask the old game traders for russian contacts and they will point you in the right way.
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

the incidental trade won't be a problem, really. And if you get to know them and trade more often, its not a problem either...

The real problem lies twofold:
    - above sketched: illicit games by hacking or stealing.
    - Valve having problems with mass-trading russian "cheap" games.

The latter one needs a little elaboration:
    Say you see games for a couple dollar in Russia, and the game is in other parts of the world a lot more. Going mass trading those around is eventually going to be noticed by Valve and will result in a trade lock/ban. The "mass" trading those around was for a number of games, and ranged in the 50-100+ games being traded.

Yes, there is real world example of that, and no I wont elaborate more on it. Just learn from it and stay away from such abuse.
  8. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    well yea Data what you are saying is true, however if you trade for own usage, so far at least i havnt heard anyone getting into trouble with that, ofc if you buy to resell then donĀ“t valve WILL ban for that.
  9. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    Just to add you may want to think a little more when naming titles as this wasn't really PC.
  10. RetroPCx

RetroPCx New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:56032999
    Probably not unless they scam you or you scam them
  11. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

But it addresses the actual issue. It isn't saying Russians are bad, but there is definitely a connotation and a general understanding by many traders.
  12. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    If the items are clean, I don't see why not.
  13. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

This topic is over a month old. Make sure to keep an eye on dates.
  14. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    Just going thru the list of stuff :)