1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Would this constitute a scam attempt?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by {Fp} Komrade Pwny, Aug 11, 2013.

1. {Fp} Komrade Pwny

{Fp} Komrade Pwny New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20901720
    Knowing you guys are busy with all the reports you get daily, I wanted to check here first before filing a report.

I was added by a guy who went on to explain he needed my TF2 keys, and that he'd pay me back later, as someone was threatening to ban him. He goes on to get more and more demanding, and that his Mom's gonna kill him, etc. I managed to get the url out of him of this person who was supposedly screwing him over, which incidentally is the first person listed under that name, and who he happens to be steam friends with - I was going to ask this dude what was up, or give him a heads-up on the crazy guy, but he already has me blocked.

I managed to get the "victim" to admit I'd be paying him the keys in a trade outright, with nothing in return - the games would supposedly come later, and his initial offer of a copy of Payday ended here. This in between his repeated trade invites I kept ignoring, and him going "please" over and over again.

During all of this, his profile went from public before and right after I added him to private once we got talking. Unfortunately I didn't think to screenshot that, but I do have screenshots of the chat window.

Would this just be somebody being an idiot, or is this a legitimate scam attempt involving alts? It was so obvious from the get-go it seemed more like a joke to me.
  2. [ATG] Mufn

[ATG] Mufn New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44790779
    I would report him, noone would take a joke THAT far.
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

hmmm, I'd never give any to a unknown guy (and most that I do know). If he's been extorted, he should report it to Valve and us. In your situation, it really depends on how things are said etc.
  4. {Fp} Komrade Pwny

Steam:
    Yeah, I told him to report the guy, but he kept going on about some time limit the other person had given him. I dragged it out until that had passed, but he kept going on about it like that hadn't happened. In a way I want to report him, but in another something's telling me he might really be a victim.

The thing that's got me still considering a report is that the person who supposedly was extorting him had me blocked, and I have no clue who he is - aside from three groups in common, all of which have 10,000+ members, that is. I just wanted to ask him if he knew about this guy and what he was up to, but I can't. They aren't friends any longer though, so perhaps he was telling the truth. I'm going to see if I can find the supposed extortionist in a group chat, maybe I can get a word in with him somehow.
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

well, if you link both here (Steamrep link) then I can check if they maybe alts of eachother, and if, its a charade.
  6. {Fp} Komrade Pwny

Steam:
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

on first look, they don't seem to be alts.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  8. {Fp} Komrade Pwny

Steam:
    Okay, he did talk to me, but that cleared nothing up. I mentioned him filing a report against the guy on here but he's got no interest in doing so, and has now quit responding to anything I send him.

All I got from him was " I added it to the black list. Because he did not give me the keys.", and nothing more. Was hoping for some clarification there on that statement, but I guess he's done talking to me.