1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

dirty goods

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Rico Lambrini, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:39847655
    it turns out the the backpack deals I got from a seller was hijacked 5 days ago. The original owner told me so yesterday. The account was suspicious at first, but i couldnt find any definite signs and i thought the 15 days rule was the end for all hijackers. I bought from him twice.

He claimed he got those bps cheap with dealing with ppl live in a cafe, hence the sudden value jumps. I was sceptical but I felt the new system is foolproofed. Either the owner is lying or the system has been cracked. Nevertheless my account looks dirty now because it was a paypal trade. I only gave him a s✿✿✿ item in return, not to mention, his bp was full so he didnt receive anything the first time. When I forgot to put the non chargeback notes in for paypal, he refunded it and made me to do it again. I got his verified email address and supposedly his real name. I attached the lesser payment.

I have started to buy bps recently and I dont really want to deal with this s✿✿✿. Now i cant put any money in because im scared i will be trade banned/ temp banned...

Im thinking if i should chargeback to make things even, if that is possible and approved. Or what should i do.

the hacked acc - http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198083461444

Attached Files:

2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    1. The 15 day timeout has been disabled for new devices till valve has adjusted some issues with it (account affected on main machine to not be able to trade for 15 days as well or some of that sort)

2. The best advice with buying backpacks: wait 5 working days before trading. Most ppl wont mind, and that gives hijacked owners the chance to file a ticket. Hijackers will move on / try to hurry you, for they can't wait that long.

3. On chargeback, ONLY if steam support does remove the items. Or make a steam support ticket, explain situation and receive confirmation that the account was hijacked during your trade. If the account was hijacked, we have no problem with you chargebacking it. On successful chargeback, you will have to return the items tho.
    Couple notes:
    - a "note" on a paypal chargeback that one isn't going to chargeback doesn't mean s✿✿✿, for its a note TO the reciever, its not a warranty fee to PayPal (which such would require).
    - Until you have some form of confirmation from Valve, you have no way to be sure it was hijacked, and it can be a ploy to try to get the items back for free.

On hijacks, a hijack can be happening within a minute. Without email access by the hijacker. For the site asks for login name, password and steamguard code, which a bot uses to activate a steam client, and then will change the registered email address. What happens most is that they access the account, auto-trade all valuables off it, and then log out. The account can then be logged into by the victim again... minus their valuable items that where auto-traded to another account.
  3. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    most of the valuable items are sold now, so i cant really return the items but the cost of it, and i believe there were stolen items from other accounts as well. At least the account i traded with had the items restored, i.e. kills on strange weapons too. However if they do delete the items, would valve tell me... My bp is not very organised and i may not even know.

Im not sure of consequence of me filing a ticket asking for explanations or prove my innocence. can it bring unnecessary attention... what is the possibly of me getting trade ban soon. I have been trade disabled, not banned, for a week. I had to file a ticket for the reason, they said i traded with a hijacker and received items. In reality, i bought things with keys, it looked nothing as bad as this one. it was before steam guard, around december.

thanks for the explanation, please advice.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    If valve already restored items, I'd check for items that you traded for with him if they still are where they should be, if so, you can let it go. If valve removed items, or Trade locked you for this case, make a ticket, explain everything and tell what/how you paid for 'm to regain your items. If the victim has got from steam support a restoration of his backpack, then you're free to chargeback for the trouble. We have no problem with charge backs against hijackers.

Steam guard is around since ~April/May 2011, the requirement for trading to have steamguard enabled for 15 days on the account has been added when Steam market came out. a week or maybe 2 ago they enabled that it was to be enabled on the client for at least 2 weeks b4 it could trade. This has been disabled, for some reason if ppl logged in to websites with steam they got trade disabled due this. So they are testing / patching that up, with some additional requirements.
  5. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    i can now see the items i got are from different accounts. almost all of them have got their items restored, i.e. kill counts on stranges, and dupes. i assume the restoration can only be done by reporting account being hijacked. For 1 or two accounts, items are still missing by the looks of bp.tf, however i cant check the history - http://backpack.tf/id/76561198054930113?time=1377846000 but my guess if i were to give items back, it would be impartial.

I have chat confirmation from MrPieGuy314 that he was hijacked and visual confirmation on item restorations on several victims, but i havent seen the steam ticket yet. Am i ready to start the chargeback, if possible, but i dont know how to start, is it reporting it as unauthorised usage, or what other options
    --------------------------------------------------
    Please indicate which unauthorised changes, if any, were made to your account.
    PasswordSecurity questions & answers
    Email addresses
    Postal addresses
    Phone numbers
    Upgraded to Business or Premier account
    Credit cards added
    Bank accounts addedOther

Have you changed your password since this happened?
    YesNo
    Have you changed your security questions since this happened?
    YesNo
    Have you changed your phone PIN since this happened?
    YesNo
    --------------------------------------------
    I have been using the same computer. i sent 2 payments, on 8th and 9th. How should i approach this

thanks again
  6. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    ps, i have had transactions inbetween and after, and my account has got funds
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    state to PP that you recieved stolen digital goods, and that various actions have been done by valve restoring them.
  8. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    since all transactions are sent as to family and friends, it doesnt allow me to open a dispute, but only an unauthorised activity. Do I file in anyway and explain, is there a precedent.

if so, what decisive evidence do i need
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    we're no experts on chargebacks, only that these happen often to traders by scammers. So "definite" answers we wont have. I don't know if there are other ways to contact their support, (I do not use paypal) but maybe you can explore that.

For one thing, we are not going to have a topic on a "how-to" chargeback on SR for obvious reasons. We just want to protect honest traders from these, and make fair trading the good thing.
  10. Rico Lambrini

Rico Lambrini New User

Steam:
    understood.

i wish i can change the topic to 'charging back on hijackers'. I would also appreciate anyone with the know-how to share their experience with me personally if you see fit.

i will be seeking help at other places, and make a report here in the future.