1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Impersonation to Mark

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Gamma032, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42303924
    Okay, I had a pretty dark thought the other day. Would it be possible for one person with two computers, to set up a hoax to get someone marked? All they would have to do is replicate the profile picture and change the name of their alternate account. Get your main to throw a friend invite to the real guy to make it seem legitimate, then have a typical Paypal "he never sent the money" report. Fake a conversation of the deal, then go and report it here. You could show evidence that he never sent the money. Of course, he never did because the screenshots in the report aren't legitimate in the first place. It would seem legitimate because you can't really identify people just through the Steam chat window.

Is there a standard of evidence above this level? I've noticed there's a fair number of reports that are under it and it scares me that it could be entirely possible.
  2. ryaneus

ryaneus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:53135677
    Geez. That would be bad. Really bad.
  3. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    The accused could open a chat window with the accuser and show through chat history that the conversation never happened.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    would be pretty easy to appeal by the accused, by just showing his item history.
  5. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Also, keep in mind that we also do our very best to use multiple types of evidence to corroborate a story, not just screenshots. I'm working an issue right now where screenshots alone were not sufficient because outside/additional evidence gives hints that one party is lying.

It's possible for someone to cause this problem, but it's very rare and it's what appeals are meant to help resolve, too.
    Gamma032 and Eoj Nawoh like this.
  6. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    I suppose this is why SteamRep asks for the id64/id32 as well. While an impersonator could copy just about everything, they can't change their id.
  7. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    What if you made them go first?
  8. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    The Id64/id32 isn't shown in the chat window though. You could just claim it was them, not your alt.
  9. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    If you click on their avatar picture, it brings you to their profile. You can run their profile through an id checker from there.
  10. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    Not if it's a screenshot posted in a thread here. You can't click on their avatar through a screenshot.
  11. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    Just send them the last message of the conversation and claim they closed the chat window?
  12. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    Clicking on a user (friends or not), reveals past conversations.
    [​IMG]
  13. (Sh) Skyheatgaming

(Sh) Skyheatgaming New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52746089
    Slurp* HI ACES!

Anyway, im pretty sure in your account section somewhere, you can see all chat history? Correct me if im wrong.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    If the person selling went made you go first, the accused could show their Paypal balance. If the person selling went first, you could show your trade history.

Either way, there would be evidence to disprove the story.

As far as I know, there's no place where this is possible.
  15. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    To my knowledge, it only saves the most recent conversation with that user (giving the victim one opportunity to regain info after a window is closed). After that, it's lost to the abyss of the Sarlacc pit (Gabe's stomach).
    ryaneus and Clive like this.
  16. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    Maybe you could claim that it isn't their Paypal account?

Was actually JUST about to say that, then you posted it o_O
  17. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    You can claim anything, but they'd be able to verify.

To sum things up, sure there's a bunch of things people could lie about. But in the end, the truth can and will come out and be proved.
  18. Gamma032

Gamma032 New User

Steam:
    How exactly could you verify it? It's not like every Steam account has a Paypal account linked to it.
    [​IMG]
    Sari likes this.
  19. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

Every PayPal has their name/email.

And as this topic is drifting further away from "what if" and is becoming a "how to", and that the original OP was answered, I'm locking this thread.

SR investigates reports and we don't just take everything at its face value.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.