1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    Person 1 is buying an escape plan (he doesn't specify if it has to be dirty/clean). Person 2 places a clean escape plan on the trade, but then swaps it for a dirty one (he didn't try and do a "add a crate" trick though. Would that be counted as quick-switch scamming?
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    If there was no agreement on if it had to be clean or dirty, then typically it would not be a scam.
  3. derfy

derfy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1948671
    It's a pretty douchey thing to do, and could point to larger issues down the road with the user.
  4. NinjaNick

NinjaNick New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:37308762
    This might be a little weird but what is your take on scamming scammers to get the items away from them? A scammer added me wanting 10 euros for a game, a program called FUSE worth $100 and a Vintage Bills Hat. I checked him on the site and knew he was a scammer but felt bad that he could scam more people with those items. I thought that I could attempt to trick the scammer into going first so that I take the items and that prevents more scamming being done. But that would also make me a scammer, which I would never do. Just a thought.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Scamming stays scamming, no matter who the victim is, even if thats a scammer. And scammers most often know exactly how to provide evidence to SR.
  6. Derpy Hooves [~Derps]

Derpy Hooves [~Derps] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46170173
    Hey, I was wondering, do you guys investigate abuse? I've got this guy threathning me[​IMG] and I was wondering, does Steamrep investigate theese kind of cases or do I have to wait for Steam community?
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    nope, we don't. Best course of action: block in steam, ban on servers, mute, etc. Or report to admins of the group involved, etc.

We only look into trading related issues.
  8. personas

personas New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:62712979
    hello there steam admins and mods, i am still new to trading and such (especially with the crafting update); and i have been scammed.

while in the light of hijacking and phishing and such it's a minor thing, a Dota cosmetic item worth around 4-5 keys. however, this person had done the same thing with many others, however these are easily blurred inbetween scamming and lowballing, and thus i am not sure whether to report it or not. it seems that this user targets those who don't go to trading sites and such; me myself was enlightened by a trader member of mine.

sorry for the glabberish excuse of english, and i hope you guys have a good day.
  9. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    What did he do? If he scammed/attempted to scam then yes report it, if it was just lowballing then there is no need to report it.
  10. personas

personas New User

Steam:
    (is it alright to post here? i'm really sorry for bothering you guys)
    basically the item has a prescribed kinetic gem with it, and i have the standard one. he traded the same thing thing with me - only with inscribed gem that he didn't want (at this point i still didn't know much about crafting and socketing). it was only after a trade that my friend alerted me that the inscribed he traded lacks the kinetic gem, so i tried to get it back from him, but he declined and apparently blocked me, and marked his profile as private.

it may be just that i'm overly sensitive and angry because he is a mutual friend of mine, but i do want second opinion.
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    That accounts for sharking. We do not handle sharking unfortunately. You may report to some of our tagged comm. groups that maintain sharking bans.
  12. personas

personas New User

Steam:
    i see... thank you then for your time.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Depends on the size of the blender.
    Penguin The Fluffy likes this.
  14. Mad Moxxi

Mad Moxxi Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:40341655
    Can I apply as moderator?
  15. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Normally, if you're interested in applying to be a SR Moderator, information can be found here: http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/staffapps/

However, you're marked as a scammer and therefore you can not apply.
  16. MisterGee

MisterGee New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5306699
    Hi,

How do I go about getting an admin to finish processing my scam report which has been in the 'ready to review' state for the past 182 days? I mean I know patience is a virtue and all but this is too long to wait right? Several times over the past few months I would politely bring this to the attention of a moderator who kept saying, "sure I'll get an admin to look at this". Nothing.

It's annoying enough that I got scammed, but who knows how many others this little scrotum has ripped off while having a clean rep. Valve put him on probation for a while but then restored his status eventually, useless! They don't care if their service is riddled with scamming schmucks. It would be great if an admin here showed me that they do.

Thanks.
  17. MisterGee

MisterGee New User

Steam:
  18. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
  19. MisterGee

MisterGee New User

Steam:
    Nice. So by "dealt with" you mean, unfairly rejected my legitimate complaint. After 6 months of waiting and empty promises, you tell me to go to steam (something I already did). Then reply to me in a blunt and dismissive way. What a fine display of honourable behaviour. Stay classy.
  20. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    We rejected your report fairly, it is against our policy to handle CD key scam reports. You were possibly scammed, but we cannot prove that when it comes to this type of trade. CD key trading is dangerous and evidence is sketchy 99% of the time, which is why middlemen won't even handle it. No one ever promised you that your report would be accepted, only that an admin would review it (this was before the policy change). Even before the change, your report would have been rejected for the same reason why we rejected ALL cd key scam reports now.

And being rude to the staff is a very disrespectful thing to do. We're volunteers working without charge to help people like you.