1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Site

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by HissTheHeavy, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:56480850
    I have made a site and won't include the link because that's probably advertising and advertising is bad.
    It's to help people who have been scammed get items of the same worth back, which I know is something that SteamRep unfortunately can't do.
    It's not really a community, and it's quite a small thing at the moment too. My question is, how can I get 'SteamRep's mark of approval'? In other words, how can I affiliate this organisation with Steam? Does it need to grow big? I want people who's reports have been accepted to be able to get their items back, so any help would be appreciated. :)
  2. Penguin The Fluffy

Penguin The Fluffy Articus Birdicus Defenderus Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:10455403
    I am interested in knowing exactly how you intend on getting their items back. Since in most situations it would be up to valve to return the items.
  3. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    What we aim to do is give them items, some donated by people like us, that are worth the same or gradually give them items so that they can start again. Unfortunately we can't get the items in question back.
    Also, we can help scammed people report scammers here. :)
  4. Penguin The Fluffy

Steam:
    I am just saying you do realize the scope of a site like that can be easily abused and that you would need TONS of donations to be able to keep such project afloat.

Personally, I believe good intention is there but I do not see it as being plausible in any way. Unless you plan on making yourself and many others users go broke for the sake of getting items back to scammed users.

The whole idea of getting items back to people should be left to valve to handle within the guidelines they have already set.
  5. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    I have to agree with Penguin here, unless you get a large and steady stream of donations coming in, this project will go broke within the first week.

It's a good idea in theory, but pulling it off will probably take more than you or any of your helpers can give.
  6. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    I actually thought of this idea back when I started using this site, but there's on major flaw: knowing if the victims were really scammed.

So let's just say there are two people: person A and B. They both make a scam so it looks like B scammed A out of an unusual. The report gets accepted, and person A goes to your site saying that he wants compensation for his lost hat. When you give him an item of equal or more value, he says "thanks" and then person B gives him back his hat.

TL;DR: You've just given a free hat to someone that wasn't scammed at all.
  7. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    SteamRep are nearly always accurate. If necessary, I could leave the report for a few months to ensure its authenticity. As for the items, any items I win or any profit I gain from buy in raffles could go towards it.
    I understand all these risks, but I really want to help those who have been scammed.
  8. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    The only thing I see out of this is people exploiting it. I could easily create a fake report about getting scammed out of X hundreds of dollars, and pocket donations while keeping the "scammed" items.
  9. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    That's why a n accepted SteamRep report would be necessary or at least some kind of proof provided in the report. Also, we might donate x amount of the actual worth as a way to get started on tf2 again.
  10. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    This is a really bad idea. :(
    NinjaNick and ForteSP like this.
  11. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    You're missing the point. Even if the report gets accepted, the entire report could have just been a set up from the beginning to get free items.

If this idea were to be implemented, it would be good if victims could have a limit to the amount of items they received. But to be honest, this idea probably wouldn't work at all.
  12. Penguin The Fluffy

Steam:
    You can make up any fix you want, but in the end it is flawed. It is to easily abused. If a user intends to scam they would have no problem sacrificing an account and having it marked for the purpose of keeping the items and getting payment from you.

Not to mention the site in general encourages users to be lazy and not check who they are trading with under the notion of "why would it matter if I get scammed when they will just give me stuff."

I do not know about the rest of the SR staff, but I will personally never endorse a site like that.
    Clive likes this.
  13. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    The idea is already reality. The site is set up, and I have some friends wanting to donate.
    As for the limit idea, that could work. I mean, x amount of keys could help a scammed trader get back to trading again.
  14. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    I don't think you understand.

This person scammed me off a bud:

| steamname: Soho
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:50944005
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198062153738
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ScientificRailgun
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198062153738

Evidence:

http://i.imgur.com/2eOdvVe.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/7jWkEZw.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/aVWEgDJ.jpg

The report would get accepted, and I could cry donations for a bud, while in fact, "Soho" is just my alt.
  15. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    I would like to turn my site into something that gives 1 key to scammed people with accepted reports and HELPS users to get back into trading with advice and good trades. Or maybe 5 keys. A user can only apply once to avoid so many keys being given away. And of course, if a user suddenly has their item back after the few keys, no more help, and extra precaution taken to make sure that there are no alts.
  16. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    But you also have to think about this: what happens if someone who was actually scammed actually gets there items back from a scammer who felt sorry for scamming him (no fake reports, no nothing)? Then you could just be framing an innocent person.
  17. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    Proof could be asked just to make sure. Anyway, I just want to help scammed people ;~;
  18. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    Did you just ignore my post entirely? What if something like that happened? Proof is provided, yet you'd be giving away free items for nothing.
  19. HissTheHeavy

HissTheHeavy New User

Steam:
    No AcesGamer, I read your post and it made me realise how this site probably won't work.
    I was talking about Sari saying how if the victim is given their item back by the scammer, it would be unfair to stop helping them.
    Although if they had their item back, they might not need help any more, and a few tips, a polite message and a remove could be sufficient.
  20. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I'd like you to start thinking in actual numbers. actual number of ppl that got scammed that is. We have over 50 reports streaming in every day. While not all are accepted, that is 350 reports a week, 1400 a month...
    say that its 1400 a month, even if you give 1 key per victim, that would cost you 1400 keys, which is roughly 2000 dollar a month, and you'd be completely overworked to handle, asses and trade all of them.

While I'm fine with you spending 2000,- dollar a month, and spend every waking hour on this to "compensate" victims... however, I think there are better things you can do with your money and time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.