1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Selling gifted/ duped items an offense?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by dragonhuman, May 18, 2012.

1. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Well with all the skyrim revokes and what's left from the duped maxs and unusuals every once in awhile you come across a duped promo/ unusual. It still wears the same but a lot of people don't like it when it's in someone else's backpack. This makes it hard to sell and generally less valuable.

Now on the other hand some people have gifted unusuals/ promos for whatever reason. Now most people agree that gift wrap ruins the value of the item, and some people don't care at all.

Now obviously if you take the time to look at the item you can easily see its gifted, yet I've still come across two people that just call em buds and when you call em out on it they say that gift wrap doesn't matter. And often some people just ignore the gift wrap on an unusual

But it can get difficult to check for duped items in game, people just think that say the burning sola they bought is legit and would sell it as such.

My main point is if someone tries to sell you a duped/ gifted item without telling you could that be contrived as an offense in any way? (obviously not scamming unless repeated majorly)

Also open for any kind of debate
  2. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Er probably more important if they knew it was duped/ gifted
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    It's scummy not to tell the buyer if you know whether it was duped. Promos have always been handled differently-- since they're a currency no one really knows or checks very often to see if they are.

It is really up to the buyer to do their research, but I would never trade with someone who knew some item had a hidden drawback but didn't tell you before buying it. That's shady used car salesman stuff.

Now if it's a major drawback you misrepresented (like saying something had a strange part but the trade window didn't show it) then it may warrant some hit to your reputation because you misrepresented actual features of your items.

Tough situations and worthy of discussion, no doubt.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    hmm, not everybody is able to discern if a item is duped or not, and only a part of the trading community does care about that. Those are mostly the end-buyers of a item for they want such item.

There is no "offense" in selling duplicated items unknowingly. We consider people who duplicate items scammers, and if the item is gained from a marked scammer, that still counts as trading with a scammer. But trading the item in itself isn't a offense. For those items often have been passed around a bunch by the time most ppl got them.

As to the strange part Mattie mentioned, already somebody has been marked scammer for selling a item telling that a strange part was put on it that wasn't. As its a property he advertised on the item you can link that to the properties like "craftable" "tradable" etc. The item should be sold as it really is, by selling it as something else that is worth more, its a scamming offense.

Ehm, I do not see a problem with gifted, if you clarify on what the offense might be, we might be able to comment on that. For now I dont see any issue with gifted items, unless you mean the "dirty" part of it, which must be mentioned in the same way.