1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Can I report someone for this?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by NCPereira, Dec 2, 2013.

1. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    A while ago a guy wanted to trade with me.

He offered me something and said that it was worth much more than its actual value.

Basically, he lied to me, tried to deceive me, in order to get my item.

I know this is a scam attempt, but do you actually accept these cases when users report them?

Also, bare in mind this is NOT sharking, since he deliberately lied to me.
  2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Uhm... Sharking is by definition, lying or manipulating, lol.
    Flying Anonymoose and NinjaNick like this.
  3. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    SteamRep's definition of scamming:

A scammer is anyone that uses deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of (...) another trader.
  4. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    Also:

When you shark somebody, you find a new, guillible TF2 player who has earbuds (or an unusual, or another very valuable item) and tell them that you'd like to have it; you'll even give some weapons for it. The sharker banks on the new player being wanting for that annoying bow and arrow thing enough to part with a bunch of pixels in exchange for it. The player doesn't know better and agrees to the exchange, but the sharker didn't actually lie so it is not scamming. The trading "scene" places the blame then on the gullible player for being, well, gullible and agreeing to a bad trade.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Sharking: any form of "lying" to the victim about value, where the victim is too new to trading to check it out themselves. The trade "agreement" has been "met", but the victim has a unintended disadvantaged trade.

Scamming: where the victim agreed to a trade, which then is not upheld.
    Examples:
    - Quickswitching valuable items for cheap items
    - Not paying on paypal or other electronic money systems.
    - Fake MM's that take the items, and then disappear.
    - etc etc.

And yes, sharking isn't handled by SR due problematic definitions, proof and such.
    Flying Anonymoose and NinjaNick like this.
  6. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    You never even mentioned the values.

You trying to report someone for raising the price by a few ref to a key difference? Or is this some huge amount?
    If it's huge, outpost might take it.. I seen them ban some sharkers.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    They may ban them from outpost but that has no bearing else where. Also keep in mind there is no be all end all price list or value list for any said items. This is a TRADE system not a Buy/Sell system.

Let me put it in terms you may understand: I come up to you and say "Hey , do you wanna buy this car its worth $1 BILLION dollars!!!"

now are you going to report me to the police or just use a little common sense here? Had I said I think its of equal value to your car do you wish to trade, then it would be up to you and the other person to agree on the trade and go on with life if both were happy. Keep in mind that Valve has made it so you have to double verify before finalizing any trade so if you can't think for yourself you just need to stop trading PERIOD.
  8. D2Girls

D2Girls New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17721741
    Depending on the severity of the shark attempt you can always contact an admin of servers. If the shark attempt happened on a public trade server, I would suggest getting in contact with an admin. Sharking is a bannable offense on many servers, it's just something that's frowned upon here at steamrep.
  9. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    No, what happened was:

This person contacted me to buy one of my items.

When I didn't agree with what he wanted to pay, he got very offensive, angry and even started calling me a scammer.

After that, he tried to persuade me into a trade by lying blatantly and even started changing his own story multiple times.

Isn't this worth of a mark? It's perfectly clear that this person is a harm to the community, and people should be aware of that. After all that's what SteamRep is about.
  10. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    Also:

Sharking: Would you like to trade your item Y for my item X? (Where Y is more valuable than X)

Scamming: My item X is worth 3 times as much as your item Y. Would you like to trade? (Where Y is actually more valuable than X)

Sharking isn't about lying, it's about omitting.
  11. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Your sharking example is not sharking, that is either "lowballing" or simply trading.

Your scamming example is sharking. Sharking is deception on the value of items to try and make profit. re-read Silent's post.
  12. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:

Source: http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq/
  13. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Read the numbers 1 - 15.
    Also, sounds like the FAQs needs a tweak to something like this.

What is a Scammer?
    A scammer is anyone that uses deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of or steal from another trader. If you receive the item you wanted, then that user is not a scammer.
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Scamming is breaking the trade agreement: if the agreement was: a key for 5 ref, then both have to deliver THAT. If one of them instead of delivering 5 ref gives 4, by whatever trickery (give later, you not noticing, etc) then he scammed 1 refined.

Sharking is where both agree on a price, but one party is NOT familiar with real prices of items he owns, and the sharker tries to abuse that. Both agree to a price, but the victim might trade a buds for a craft hat, not knowing the value of that item is way more.
  15. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    Ok. Guess I won't be reporting anyone then.