1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion to make things a bit easier for SteamRep and community

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by GugMeister, Jan 24, 2014.

1. GugMeister

GugMeister New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47419040
    I was scammed, like many other people. Unfortunately, being fairly new to trading and scamming through steam, I learned the hard way that it's ridiculously easy for a scammer to destroy evidence by simply un-friend you. I have also learned that this actually a common thing.

So here is my suggestions:
    1) Ask Valve (they will listen to you far more than they will listen to me) to grant access to chat logs even if the other person un-friends you. They don't have to store them, just not block you from accessing what is already on your computer.
    2) Have a side reputation system a la E-bay, where people can leave positive/negative trade feedback, which is much lower maintenance for you. In the system the user being accused has to fend for himself. While that is not perfect, it certainly helps. This makes it harder for a continuous scammer who know how to work the system to keep doing it to new people. This will not replace the work being done here, but it will make it lighter because scamming will be slowed down.

Someone might get negative feedback unjustified, they will certainly have positive feedback to compensate for it. Of course, if they have a lot of negative feedback, well there probably is a reason for this.

Well, that's my 2 cents.
    ReignBro likes this.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    #1 - stay on trade servers and communicate thru the game chat since most already retain chat history. Ours is public thru our stats pages like many other communities. Sure you can talk more in trade but its rather difficult to screen shot the steam overlay so again make the deal out in the open, get screens as you talk in game and if you can get something like fraps to screenshot the overlay during the discussions. Many times I've pulled chat logs from a server to help someone gather evidence and not only that but you are also IN THE GAME!!! You being in the game helps show support of the game to Valve with the statistics that prove it. Trading outside of the game really doesn't show how much used the game still is.

#2 You won't get anything like that done I can assure you that, recently Valve just stabbed the community heart with some stupid prechecked box for quickplay traffic to go to Valve servers first not communities so yeah good luck with that.
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    How does defriending you destroy the evidence?
    There's trade logs, steamrep also keeps track of your friend history(as long as you check steamrep while the friend was on your list)

Would be nice if there was a way to get logs, or at least confirm the log.
    By confirm, you can copy and paste the text, and it will respond back "Yes this text exists at X time."
    This way you know if someone faked text or not easily.
  4. ReignBro

ReignBro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44693178
    Good advice IMO. Valve still lacks some protections against trade scams. Of course many of this is due to inexperience, as opposed to a children's mental capacity, as an ironically childish admin in another thread stated. However, I still believe that Valve could improve upon their trader protections. JMO.
  5. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Don't mistake bluntness with immaturity.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  6. ReignBro

ReignBro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44693178
    Not a huge fan of euphemisms...
  7. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

There is no euphemism used. You just sound like a foolish idiot.
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    we where talking sop traders, running around on sop for rep and trades.... its a bit different vs noobs that got scammed from their precious items, that simply do not know.

Those traders are already familiar with a forum where trades are done, yet choose to ignore all the informational/rules/guides/etc threads on said forum.