1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accidentally bought hijacked items, admins please read

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Im_The_Devil, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45171937
    I'm sorry, I didn't understand fully.

They simply turn back any purchases done by it.
    By "it", you mean the purchases that I did, or the purchase(s) that the hacker possibly did after my purchase, or both?
    Assuming that you're talking about the purchases that I did, and when you said "money goes back and that will be it", it means that only steam wallet funds will be returned to my account, but the 4 unusual I bought will not be returned to Pink Taco, those will stay in my backpack? So I have to return the unusuals myself back to Pink Taco (When he has his account back, and which I am more than willing to do) after/before the funds are refunded by valve.

This scenario won't play out if the hacker bought non valve steam games with the funds he received from me? It will make "turning back any purchases done by it" more complicated because of the reason you stated above (They cannot sustain any purchased games for those are often not valve games, and go with a fee to the owners of those games. And valve never pays some from their own pockets.)

Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646

it all really depends on what accounts get "tagged" by valve for being part of the hijacker's group of accounts. If the account where you bought these unusuals from will be tagged for that, valve will undo all those transactions where the money was used for (what the account bought to "cash out").

Then also, valve propagated the steam marketplace as being "final" transactions. They use two percentages for that, 1 being a "fee", the other being a "insurance".

What in my opinion will happen is that the account where you bought these unusuals from will get all its trades for money reversed. Unknown is if your transaction for those unusuals will be reversed. I think that would be unlikely.
  3. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    I've seen this happen before. Steam won't ban you because you bought everything legitimately within the Steam Market. You should be safe.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  4. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:

Thanks for clarifying things for me :)

Why would steam ban me for buying things on steam market o_O It kinda makes no sense. This thought never crossed my mind that steam would ban me.
  5. Teeird

Teeird New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44724269
    What are you worried about then?
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    his reputation...
  7. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    Rational buyers wants to buy for less and rational sellers wants to sell for more. If we agree to that premise, then rational buyers will tend to look for a great deal. They will find the cheapest seller on the market when they are buying a certain item that they want. Under this reasoning, rational buyers looking for a great deal is not a warning sign that he/she is attempting to shark or help scammers.

I do agree with your definition of sharking however. I typed that way too fast ("If the deal is mutually agreed upon, there is nothing wrong with it") and didn't put much thought into it.
    If the buyer tries to feed of the ignorance of another user who does not know the value of their item, it is widely considered as a shark. I agree with that scenario.
  8. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil New User

Steam:
    Update

So - Valve finally responded to my support ticket
    Here's their response:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

All Community Market transactions are final and cannot be reversed.

For further information about the Community Market please visit the following link here:

Title: Community Market FAQ
    Link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214

We will investigate this matter and take appropriate action.

Please note that you will not receive a notification about any action taken as a result of this report." (Support Tech Jerred, valve)

My response

"If Wal-Mart for example sold me a stolen Sofa for $500, would it be reasonable for Wal-Mart to tell me that all sales are final?
    I must argue that my case is the same.

I have bought 4 Unusual on the steam community market that is owned by valve. These unusuals are stolen/hijacked from another user. Please review this ticket again." (Hana)

Despite the fact that valve sold me stolen items from another account on their steam community marketplace, the support person still had the courage to tell me that all sales are final on stolen goods.
    I was expecting for valve to respond along the lines of "all sales are final, but was surprised at the same time.

This is not meant to be a blog post. It is an update that is relevant to the original post.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    They re-imburse stolen goods by duplicating them to the victim. but that has conditions:
    - Only one-time re-imbursement. (get hijacked a 2nd time: sorry)
    - Only if one was hijacked. So if being scammed, sod out of luck.

They therefore can make all sales on market "final", for they do not have to take back the original items in those cases. They just dupe them.
  10. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    Please refer to Steam Support articles.
    Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9958-MJDG-3003
    [​IMG]
  11. Zerfenus

Zerfenus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35263883
    Seeing how easy it is to bypass steamguard i find this "one-time re-imbursement" to be a joke.
    I wonder what the outcome would be if someone took Valve to court with this, seeing as all you need to do is steal 2 files from the victim's computer.
  12. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I've linked one of my contacts of valve to that steamhack stuff, and told him I found it a stupid notion that they didn't hash any of the machine and took that along with authentication of a account on a machine, real time. Instead its in a stupid file, logon name not even hashed/salted.
  13. Wh0

Wh0 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:84291133
    • Trading with marked scammers and obvious alts can affect your reputation. It can also lead to a trade ban from Valve. See http://forums.steamrep.com/pages/faq
    i don't get why the f✿✿✿ you are apologizing who cares if there scammed its your money "You made a mistake, and a big one at that" No no its not big mistake its H0lla d0lla spend and made profit buy from a private profile nobody cares. They shouldnt have got scammed in the first place its probably a 6 year old crying when using his moms money "I have to ask though, why did you think it was a good idea to buy these items? " Because you made mad f✿✿✿✿✿✿ money. get money f✿✿✿ bitches thats how it goes " They come from private accounts and are ridiculously low. That should be a massive red flag right there." Hows that a reg flag i have a private profile i deal with 1000s of dollas each day (CSGO Knifes&keys") i one of the most trusted dealers on OPskins