1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

New phishing types?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by [G²] Scatman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. [G²] Scatman

[G²] Scatman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45015208
    Beware of this. Their profile is private and want you to look in their inventory. They then link you to a fake profile.

Not sure if this has been seen before, but I haven't seen it before :p

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    pretty common lately, report the user/link to Valve that is all you can do other than hope people use a little "internet common sense".
  3. Mr. Valentine

Mr. Valentine New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:50959178
    I've seen a similar phishing approach. A person who doesn't even have you added, messages you with something along the lines of
    "Hey my friend wants to buy your stuff, add him at www.phishinglinknotsteamcommunity.com"

It's utterly ridiculous the amount of those I've received in the past three, four days. Obviously I just report them to Valve, but I think I've received six or seven attempts.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    They use SteamBot, which isn't limited to the less then 50 rule the steam client imposes on messaging ppl in groups. They use via SteamBot the large groups ppl are member of to target the members of that group with such messages.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Partner Members, SteamRep Partner SCAs).**
  5. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    This has been going on since ever. Nothing new.
  6. (SH-M)Dr. Bubbles

(SH-M)Dr. Bubbles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26815986
    How is it that when I get home from work everyday I have about 10-40 messages from Phishers. Sometimes the same guy like 10 messages over and over. I don't even have them added.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
  8. (SH-M)Dr. Bubbles

Steam:
    Just got a new phishing type. Well new to me. Somebody left a comment with a drop box url. I went onto the profile and some guy commented saying he clicked it and downloaded a trojan on accident... Watch out for this stuff.
  9. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Wow phishers are getting desperate if their now restoring to trojans
  10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Not really knew, happens often.

People need to exercise common sense and caution when clicking on links, sites and the etc.
  11. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    As for the comments, Valve has made improvements to Steam regarding this. If the URL is not an official Steam website, you will be able to see the domain in the brackets.
    [​IMG]
    The same happens with the summary.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    SilentReaper(SR) and Eoj Nawoh like this.
  12. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Not much of an improvement.
    Hmm, I wonder how many people would be phished if Valve gave a warning message if the site is unofficial, and would not open the link at all.
    It's one thing to ignore the warning message, but to actually go to the site by typing it in is really major stupidity.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    There is no limit to that, you know that. Look up the Darwin Awards....
  14. (SH-M)Dr. Bubbles

Steam:
    Well, the problem is. They can do anything with links. They can use a drop box which is an official website. Or they can make up a new website and just say check this out blah blah blah. There is no way steam can moderate that. I think that with the phishing Valve needs to implement a new feature that if in chat or comment or what have you, that you get a steancommunity or whatever these phishers use to trick you into thinking it is a real steam site, it should say next to it in big red this is not an official valve site.
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    They can use a url shortener site, which forward them to another site... and you're no closer knowing where you're going.
  16. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    That doesn't always happen. For example, in my profile, it does NOT do that for both Twitter and Youtube links.

Pic:

[​IMG]
  17. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    I guess there are some requirements... Once the URL meets them, it is displayed without the domain in the brackets.
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Think they have a whitelist.