1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Anyone have a pic of that new Phishing method?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by gukingofheart, May 31, 2014.

1. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I'd like to tell all my friends and viewers about this without just a text warning.
    Anyone get Phished like this yet and got a pic of it?
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The only times I've gotten added with in the last few months and this attempt of phishing messages has come from a random add was right after and I mean right damn after I bump a trade on Outpost. One of my members got the same thing and since he was young and didn't know any better fell for it and sure enough he was compromised. He had posted a trade on Outpost and got added almost instantly. Now if you ask me something needs to be done from Outposts side here to curve the issue as I don't see this happening at all from say TF2TP and I bump trades over there many times during the day.

The messages are almost cookie cutter in what they say regardless of the URL so if at any time you get a random add and they start off with "My friend is trying to add you blah blah blah and whatever can you add them...." then instantly report the profile thru the steam profile reporting method and delete that user. If its someone you play with/know then try another means of contacting them perhaps by email or forum PM if you know them to let them aware of it if they are not already.

Still though, something with Outpost is feeding the fire and I suggest something be done about it and soon.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    They watch OP for good items, and then go to those traders to phish them. They use all kinds of sources to see who got some valuables, and then phish them.
  5. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I believe they are more like automatic as in bot controlled than anything and something over on OP is triggering it which appears to be as soon as you bump a trade.
  6. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    I agree, it's more likely they would be using a bot. By scraping the page of the trade you can see people who are online/in-game (I'd imagine the first thing they filter to make sure not to waste resources adding people who are offline) and when they typed the note (more than likely the time the trade was created). They may target the people with good items that have had their item posted for a longer period of time, thinking they might be desperate enough and not thinking. This may be why you click bump and get added vs when you first post it.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    and they can just put those offline to a "add later" list...
  8. tasteoflife1

tasteoflife1 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92265899