1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by [/joe], Sep 2, 2014.

1. [/joe]

[/joe] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:90728422
    upload_2014-9-3_3-13-33.png
    upload_2014-9-3_3-14-35.png
    upload_2014-9-3_3-15-1.png
    He's offering 2 keys for a 6 bud unusual (lol). He's also asking for one of my friend's ID's. He didn't make it clear why. Is this a scam?
  2. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    I'm not a moderator but it looks like "fake friend injection" to me. Usually they ask you to trade with your friend and they make an account with the same name as yours or with your real friend name and try to trade with you passing by your friend or vice versa. I suggest you make a report on partner community or in Steam rep. GL.
  3. Pacquis

Pacquis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35235363
    it appears like a fake friend injection as you said but on my opinion theres not enought evidence,if this had proceed further maybe it could have enought evidence.

To the newbies who are passing thought im gonna explain the scam jose said

Person A :adds you, after that Person A says to give your hat to a friend,When you give the hat to your friend Person A adds him then Person A opens a chat room after that calls the deal off by whatever reason and adds an impersonator of the owner of the item,Then Person A says you return the item to your "friend" which is an impersonator.

It can be easily avoided by a simple check of the profile but sometimes people fall for this.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  4. [/joe]

[/joe] New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:90728422
    How can I get the proof? What should I say? I have a close friend willing to help me tommorow.
    Note: I'm tradebanned for the next 6 days because I just got a new computer.
  5. Pacquis

Pacquis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35235363
    I might be wrong or not but on my opinion theres not enough and ill explain why

theres no real evidence of a scam just a supposed scam, if the guy would have proceed the steps i said above then that would be en enough evidence on my opinion (since theres impersonation with intention to scam and a breach of a trade agreement)
    Also i suggest you dont go into witch hunts, dont go there trying to catch scammers by trying to get them to fall into a trap since its deceive what are you doing.
    Just keep an eye out if someone tries to do it again.
    Also like Jose said if you feel you have enought evidence you report either here on steamrep or in other partner communitys.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    1. moving an item to a "friend" does NOT give any certainty about it duped or not. The only way to check that out is indeed via bp.tf and tf2items.com and hit every backpack around that gets listed. And even that is not 100% for it can be in a private backpack or in a profile that didn't get viewed on those 2 sites. Steam does not give any way to check that on steam itself.

2. The conversation is a clear attempt to make you trade the item to a good friend of yours in order to scam it. The downside? you didn't get his other account that he would have used to impersonate you.

And the scam type:
    - Trader adds you.
    - In order to build "trust" or w/e excuse, he requests you to trade the item one or more times back and forth to "your friend that you trust" (by preference somebody that is not trading and isn't aware of impersonations).
    - Impersonator impersonates you, and trades your friend, either via the friends list or via group membership.
    - non-trading friend trades item "back" to the impersonator thinking its you.

There are NO reasons to trade items to anybody at any time before you like to sell it. Anything anybody wants to find out, can be done via either steam inventory, bp.tf, tf2items.com or even tf2outpost.com with all their histories.