1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

SteamRep needs to start reaching out to people to mod...

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Enstage, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    This is just my opinion, there are over 35000 threads in the Report A Scam thread.... This is getting out of hand... SR should start reaching out to (trusted) users to become mod, instead of waiting for them to apply...
  2. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    More like 13,609- + 2,453
    The rest are archived.

Are there trusted users who can be trusted and want the job? That might be the main problem.
  3. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We do reach out to people to help moderate and become admins. Sadly, not everyone has the free time or trust requirements we need. (It's also a bit of a thankless job!)

It's impossible for any sane amount of volunteers to handle every alleged scam in such a large community. Not even Valve (who makes a great deal of money) can handle every scam report sent their way for a 70-million member community like Steam.

We prioritize reports and handle them according to priority, but it's not possible to handle every one. We'll keep working on getting more staff, though.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  4. [JCGG] Jomarcenter - MJM

[JCGG] Jomarcenter - MJM New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44619298
    I know this is old but my suggestion is to just remove that 1-2 hour a day requirement let's any of your staff to mod at any amount of time that they can. So if they are only available let's say for 30 minute a day. they can use that 30 minute to complete few jobs and also lessen the problem of reports piling up. this is very important and serious work since a Scammer can scam for about few month before it even been banned since that report. just my suggestion. More people + less time to work = more progress.
    EastLight likes this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We do not have that requirement for nothing. Our experience is that volunteers with no requirements tend to do so little that they aren't aware of our rules, handling, types of scam's and so on. Also, training them is then getting worth less and less, for the result is only a tiny bit of what the trainer could have done themselves in that time. We need commitment, not dead wood.
  6. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Also, 30 minutes is not a very long time to work on reports. Sometimes that's like 1 report, or even less.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    For what you are doing..30 minutes is ok but for appeals alone you are talking about a massive amount of time for just one when you account for all the documentation you have to develop. Last time I went over a tag removal I had 3 pages of a word document of data that I believe I dug up over 2 weeks at random times (since I do have a life).
    People that ask these questions just have no idea.
    Pacquis, jameless, Clive and 2 others like this.
  8. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:54328884
    +1 on the thread. I tried to start discussion around it here....
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/how-long-does-it-take-for-admin-to-decide-on-scam-report.76372/
    but the general response I've got from admins is that "it is what it is".

Guys allow more people that are engaged in community to become admins.

How about doing it like CSGO Overwatch:
    http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/overwatch/

Have multiple people review specific scam report and score them based on the way they approach it.
    Pick some new moderators and watch them closely for some time. Let them prove their worth by watching them on the job.

I cannot stress more than especially for CSGO trading steamrep is our only hope. There is no decent community around trading. Reddit is more about posting trade offers, csgolounge is ok for trading, but nothing more - there is no discussion and no real community.

And to not be the guy that says "we need you to help us", I would gladly help with moderating scam reports - for example trivial ones with steam wallet frauds (empty offers offering "steam money" for your items).
  9. FreeZe-y-Boy

FreeZe-y-Boy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:17402612
    +1 on Ursus's Idea of an Overwatch like system, I'm sure many large traders would be privileged to have the ability to help the community.
    If you made it so that say 3 users needed to pass judgement on a case, and once done; a ranking of priority (how much a moderators needs to see it by) or minor action can be immediately undertaken, If all 3 ranked it as severe an immediate "caution" like rating can be given. Continuing from this it will then be handed to a moderator to pass final judgement for a ban etc.
    If all 3 pass that it is not a scam or breach of rules, it could be closed. (And if needed passed on to more for extra investigation just in case)
    That system may help with a bulk of the cases pending.
    Ursus likes this.
  10. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Hello guys, sometimes people forget that SteamRep is a database. And that database includes several marked scammers banned from partner communities. Therefore you can report scams to the partner communities and your report will probably be answered much more quickly since they dont have so many users/reports a day, usually people forget about that.
    I do agree with getting more mods but it needs to be a slow process, since the forums has several million of visitors/users(70).
    About time, yeah you can put the time to 30 minutes-1 hours but that won't change anything. The point of having a time, in my opinion, is only to see if the applicant has enough independence.
    Also and to finish my point i see so many reports with "Evidence Provided" and people always saying "when tha hell is this guy getting marked". You've done your part, reported the guy and there's a pending report on him, for me is the traders job to always check if the guy has some report on him and the judge for him self (if the report is not accepted/decline).
  11. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Nope... would get abused sure as hell. You would have people ASKING others to come make marks or using Alt accounts to do this which would then just create more work trying to sort it all out on top of what is already here. When you make up ideas like this its always best to look at it from its worst possible outcome and bring it back in cause if there is a way then someone will exploit it and I can see many on this idea so...nope. You guys just have no idea what is involved in what is currently employed.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  12. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    Check the other thread I mentioned and especially my points regarding CSGO trading.
    95% of CSGO trading goes through csgolounge. There is no community like with tf2/dota2.
    On the other hand CSGL is integrated with steamrep and instabans if someone is tagged by steamrep.
    What I'm trying to convey - CSGO traders are stuck with reporting direclty to csgl, we have nowhere to go :(

See above. Someone tagged by steamrep gets instaban on csgolounge. Without it there is good chance that unaware traders will fall into scammers hands.
  13. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    You can report users to FOG for example, a partner communities of SR and they get instaban on csgolounge. You have so many places(partner communities) were you can report them and they get marked on SR : using the previous example "banned by FOG" and they get ,like i said before, instaban on outpost/CS:go lounge/source op forums etc... (sites that use SteamRep API).
    CS:Go players aren't stuck on the lack of places to report but in lack knowledge where to report them.
  14. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    I'll try to use FOG starting from now on, but it is weird for me that I'm gonna use TF2 trading site.
    Steamrep is saying that they can't handle amount of reports and there are not many people willing to do reviewinf reports, but on the other hand sends us over to partner site that probably doesn't have such restrictions regarding being admin. It's weird :)
  15. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Even Steam can't handle all reports. There are to many simple as that. You can report him in other partner communities. I used FOG as an example since is the one i use.
    Steam can't handle all the report and they dont even check all of them. You need to comprehend that SteamRep is composed by volunteers and most of them have wife, jobs/college, etc. They aren't machines.
  16. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    I do understand this. Yet the whole point of this thread is that community of traders grew by couple millions and SteamRep staff hasn't...
    It's maybe time to adjust and get some new people in.

As my example - how freakin hard it is to let someone tag simple steam wallet nooby scammers?
  17. Tio José das Vacas

SteamRep Admin:
    Yes some of them are pretty easy to get others not that linear. They prioritize real money scams.
  18. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    Ahhh... and you see this is something I have zero experience with real money scams, but I've seen hundreds of different things. For example I would be able to easily moderate those silly ones with steam wallet and stuff.
  19. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    It is easy on the outside looking in to simply expect SR to get new people. The trouble is, people truly do not understand the amount of work that goes into handling a report and especially not the amount of work that goes into handling an appeal. It is EXTENSIVE the amount of work they do to verify evidence and try their best to enact a proper judgment.
    What you're expecting is a more haphazard approach to accepting reports which would certainly result in numerous false positives. A false positive is not something that should be taken lightly. Numerous sites utilize the API, so when someone gets banned on SR it results in getting banned in an awful lot of locations, damaging the recipient's reputation.
    SR has tried time and time again to get more people and continues to find more. However once new people start working they recognize the amount of work and over time either burn out or retire. The more trusted people in the community tend to have less time on their hands and vice versa.

I for one remain impressed with the amount of work SR volunteers and partnered communities continue to pull off in this effort regardless of whether or not they feel as if they are swimming upstream.
  20. Ursus

Ursus New User

Steam:
    And again I understand that.
    Not sure what exactly led you to that conclusion. What I proposed is specialization of admins. SR has categories of reports, allow less experienced admins deal with simpler categories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.