1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Ask A SteamRep Staff Member

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xenophobia, Jan 14, 2013.

1. EvilJackCarver

EvilJackCarver New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41489101
    This is an odd question, I know:

How would one go about getting a caution on themselves? Last March my entire computer was hijacked by someone, who then used it to attempt to purchase earbuds via PayPal (which didn't go through, NSF - and if it had, I'd be the bad guy since I definitely would have initiated a chargeback) and with reflected file downloads popping up on Reddit, I'd like to be safe in case someone attempts it and tries to use my account for a similar purpose.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We do not put on tags by "request". Your account security is your responsibility. Make sure your accounts is/are secure by having a real antivirus, like Avast (free), or Eset Smart Security (paid), antimalware like Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, SuperAntiSpyware, MVSP Hosts auto updated with Hostsman, having secure passwords, and develop strategy on account security like explained here: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/general-e-mail-security-considerations.17308/
  3. EvilJackCarver

EvilJackCarver New User

Steam:
    Cheers for the answer; account security isn't something I take lightly but most things automatically log in on my computer - this was around the start of the whole "explain these images" screensaver-based executables came around, and COMODO didn't immediately pick up even after directly scanning. Very few accounts of mine period share a password, neither Steam nor PayPal had a password at the time shared with another. My contact email for most things is some random jumbled hexadecimal username on the domain "opayq.com" (Abine's MaskMe service, which is essentially disposable email addresses)

But again, thanks for the timely response.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    If you are so aware, how come you would click some with a unknown extension... I can understand people not being familiar with .scr extension, but never understand why they would just click a just downloaded file linked by somebody they don't know.
  5. EvilJackCarver

EvilJackCarver New User

Steam:
    The computer of a person I know well enough to trust with my real name (1 of literally 4, mind you) got their computer hijacked in a similar manner. I didn't pay much mind with regard to the .scr file, since I know said person has a MacIntosh as well with internet access and figured 'different OS, different extension' similarly to how Linux won't run an executable file under normal circumstance without outside tools.

I posted the MO and all the logs I had at the time off-site - this was caught by a chat logging script I leave running, this was said by me to a person who was added to my friends' list without my consent:
    Like I said, I posted logs and everything off-site, I can PM you the link if you so wish - or I could quote it here or drop the subject, your call on that.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I've no need to see all that. As said, whatever means needed to secure your computer is one's responsibility.
  7. Electrifier06

Electrifier06 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:97959246
    i just want to know how to get to my link
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Click the link?
  9. Wrath

Wrath New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    Human behavior to click the 'shiny button'?
    About 25 (I think now, probably more) people on my list I know offline. Some know sensitive info, some don't. Some trust me enough to have control over quite a few things and if I ask for something, a favors or not, I always get onto them for giving me without reason. One day I might get 'rekt' and the last thing I want to do is suffer that ordeal.

In no way in hell will I ever use the same 'trust' to gauge whether to blindly download and open something without prior discussion. Just because you know someone well enough next door, doesn't mean one should willingly give what they have. (I'm probably wording that wrong, but it's just a thought.) In the enraging event they get hijacked, I'd quickly pick up on out-of-character behavior. Spoke to one earlier this week about a concern I noticed, their words seeming to lack punctuation and profile changes. Turns out, his G-board died and he's using a crappy Dell. As for the profile, he got 'bored'. A lot of hijackers won't be able to mimic real user's words and actions. I still don't understand how hijacks happen to this day in the same way I don't understand how people keep getting scammed, to this day. (Hue hue, on a Scammer Database website too.)
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    There several ways hijacks happen:
    • They get linked to some piece of malware, and convinced to install it by "friends". Various methods and stories with this.
    • They get linked to a "official site" and get requested to "upload" some files and fill in their login names and passwords for their steam, mail, keycode for their home alarm, mothers maiden name, long lost pets names (harvested from Failbook already, they don't need to ask that), social security number, etc.
    • They got infected by some program they where using. There was a backpack management program that went rogue some time ago. Or they had installed something that came with malware, and the malware control was intended to get steam information.
    Unfortunately they always "forget" how it actually happened, and are not defending their system. Most people trust things way too easily, and get abused by it.
    Wrath likes this.
  11. ЩĄ | TeknoVagrant

ЩĄ | TeknoVagrant New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:7825060
    Hello everybody! I have a simple question that may or may not expand depending on the answer.

Has lag EVER affected a trade before?

One of my friends (Bluewind) told me about how he got scammed. One second he has his item up in trade and discussing a price, the trade starts lagging out (Trade looks like it reset) then the next second his item is gone. I believe he did ask for an explanation or for his item back on a scammer report (I have no clue if he posted it here or not, this comment is to answer the question above, not to ask any mod to look in to this). I believe he told me the truth, but in all honestly he may have just not wanted to admit he got scammed. If it turns out lag COULD effect a trade such, or if somehow the trade was forced to complete using outside resources, then please let me know so I can post links to profiles and his earlier scam report. Thank you for your time.
  12. cheatnow

cheatnow New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43206935
    I know there is/used to be a way to use a script to take out the item of the script user and accept the trade.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Lag does sometimes influence trades in availability of items. usually after the trade starting the related game will cause the items to be dropped/corrected in your backpack.
  14. Enthusiastic Doge

Enthusiastic Doge New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:59327119
    can you change my name to WoodenHouse
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    We do not change forum names on SR.
  16. XRaY 2

XRaY 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35573390
    Can i get marked if i trade with a guy who has a Caution tag? (i'm trading gifts for keys)
  17. XRaY 2

XRaY 2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35573390
    Thanks! This applys for guys with Pending reports too?
  18. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    yeap.
  19. ☣Solaire☣

☣Solaire☣ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:87098464
    Is it possible to donate with in-game items in some way like pay a guy who is already a donator to donate to SR for me since I don't have :confused: credit card / PayPal so I can have a donator tag? If it is allowed do I need to provide proof that I indeed paid him / her to donate to SR for me?
  20. d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

d0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Banned on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35496514
    Hello, I need some assistance regarding a caution tag. It's essentially impossible to communicate with the HG staff (tried for 2months).

Is it possible any of you moderators to add or send me a PM to discuss my situation? Don't wanna randomly add someone because I know you are busy a lot. Thanks!