1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion: Middleman Bot

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by boomerandzapper, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    That is one of the reasons why the process should be controlled via website and not the chat commands.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Obviously scammers are going to continue to come up with new ways to trick people. This isn't our first rodeo, so you're preaching to people who have been investigating trading fraud for years now.

Yet, the most obvious cases (what you mentioned) are not difficult issues-- we've already designed this system such that it minimizes potential for imposters. It won't be trivial to abuse, and leaves a lot less room for middleman injection than a human-based system.

Of course scammers will come up with new tricks, but that's just the name of the game, and we'll have to continuously evolve just as they do. This tool would be part of that evolution.
  3. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    They impersonate human middlemen already. There's nothing we can do to stop them.
  4. jameless

jameless Guru Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19765576
    It is true that for every mouse trap you build, you build a better mouse, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to come up with new and better ways to protect people. I for one have always been a big fan of this particular project and know it will help many people.
  5. boomerandzapper

boomerandzapper Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43768373
    Any progress on this?
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Mattie can correct me if I am wrong, but this idea is DOA for legal reasons for SR at least. We looked into it, would require licenses/insurance ect.
  7. Just a question, when this gets "live" with license and gets popular, it can affect the job of human mm's, like less customer's for them and maybe other things that I don't even know. They can even get out from their job because of less mm activity and thinking that being mm nowdays is not good job to cover their costs.

This is pretty bad for them so before making it live, you should disscus this aswell.