1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

There's currently 60+ accounts impersonating me while scamming other people. What to do?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by NCPereira, Jan 18, 2015.

1. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    Is there anything I can do about this?

These accounts, 63 the last time I checked, are even using my avatar which is a picture of myself, and I've heard they are sending malicious links to other people.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Nothing you can do and Valve won't do anything either.

Now if you have proof of the scams feel free to report them here thru the report a scam section and utilize the report the profile option but reporting the profile to Valve for just using the same name and image isn't enough.
  3. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    Even if the image is a photograph of myself, which they have no authorization to use, making it illegal?
  4. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Hello @NCPereira , regarding Steam, I've done a research and Steam Online Conduct states :
    Make a ticket on Steam Support- Most likely they will not ban/erase those accounts but worth a try. I know they take actions regarding fake groups.
    Regarding Steamrep, you can report those accounts to us or to a partner community.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I hate to be that guy but once you post your image online it's there forever. Getting your image off the internet is like getting the sand out of a potato salad. People from other countries don't need authorization to use your profile picture, so on the internet it's pretty much fair game. Trying to remove it will probably only make it more prevalent, especially since Valve themselves is struggling to keep the phishing accounts in check, but you can report the profile for impersonation, and for phishing, by clicking More from their profile page, Report Violation, and selecting Impersonating another user (animated gif).

Take my word for it when I say there are worse places your picture could wind up. Moving forward, change your avatar to something less personal, wait for them to pick something else, and be thankful that's all your picture is getting used for. Eventually they'll probably copy someone else's picture; they can't keep the same all the time if they want to thwart detection by Valve.

This is why I don't post personal information or pictures of myself on the internet.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I looked at a couple, it seems newly created accounts, less then a few months old.

I think its a trolling attempt, maybe to "hide" a real impersonator or something. But as its newish accounts, I'd doubt that since creation any/most of them where accessed.

Lies, I see pony avatar, you identify with ponies :p
    NCPereira likes this.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    ...HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN?
    Sjru and Hitman Sparky like this.
  8. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    Lol love your analogy. I think getting sand out of a potato salad would be easier than removing an image from the internet. Atleast with the sand you could use a magnet and maybe some water to reduce the level of sand. With the internet being the way it is, the more you want something not done, the more it is done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Sand is not affected by magnetic forces. It will not get repelled or attracted to the magnet. Also, what you describe is the "Streisand effect".
  10. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    [​IMG]
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    lol, dunno where you grow your potato's, but I won't be eating them....
  12. a tasty serving of

Steam:
    I was thinking of this process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9o2tbOxxY

The magnet pulls the iron out. With now iron-less sand in the potato salad, i'd attempt to strain the sand out. Then make more regular potato salad and add it to my affected potato salad. With enough mixing, I'd hope to reduce the chance of tasting said sand. Granted, I'd rather not have to do it, but I feel more confident in that than trying to remove an image from the internet. Atleast I could flag down a science professor or something to help me remove the sand as best as possible. With the internet I could try and find an admin to remove the content, but they are so busy that they don't have the time to deal with such ridiculousness. Plus that Streisand effect you mentioned, it'd just make it worse.
  13. a tasty serving of

Steam:
  14. Kimon

Kimon New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:82166032
    Valve won't do anything because their a✿✿✿✿✿✿s, change your name/avatar etc daily, that might help.
  15. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Congratulations: you copied the dumbest idea of 2011
  16. Kimon

Kimon New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:82166032
    f✿✿✿ off
  17. Yossef the Brony

Yossef the Brony New User