1. SteamRep is shutting down at the end of 2024. See announcement.

Accepted Report: 76561198171005402 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Razor Gold, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razor Gold

Razor Gold New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:86705028
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198171005402

Victim profile: 76561198133675785

What happened? Description:
    The guy adds me to buy my unusual. He then says that he wants me to wait a few minutes so he can buy the keys. Then he asks me to trade it to a trusted friend. I tell him I think this is a scam and I will not trade my friend until I see the keys in his bp. He then says that he doesn't want to waste money buying keys if he doesn't know my unusual is "clean". I offer to send the history. He says that's not enough. He then asks me one more time to trade to a friend. I tell him exactly what I think will happen - he will add my friend, then impersonate me and "retrieve" the unusual. He then swiftly says that it's my fault for missing out on a trade opportunity and swiftly removes me. NOTE: he never actually stole my items but I had enough evidence (especially with the last part, as well as him being trade banned) to know he was going to. I showed the screenshots of the two pages of chat as well as his profile. Hope this helped, Razor Gold.​

Provide Evidence:
    I showed the screenshots of the two pages of chat. I also showed a screenshot of his profile. I hope this helped, thanks for reading this.​

Attached Files:

2. maxlasa

maxlasa New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48367028
    I've always wondered why people thought this method would work. Why would they randomly trust your friend, who they have never met, but not you

lol
  3. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    People who are new to trading, dumb or greedy (or all of the above) fall for it quite easily. This is despite trades having 3 direct indications of details of who you're trading with to avoid people falling for this exact scam. It's one of the few scams where valve really has done all they can to prevent it. (and people still fall for it)
  4. Sjru

Sjru User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Hello @Razor Gold,

Your report was accepted for this user, though they were already banned for other reports. We've added the offense to our notes as further consideration during any appeal. Feel free to report a violation via their Steam profile.

In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accused's profile
    2. Click More drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose Report Violation
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click Submit Report
    Click here to view the animated gif that shows how to report a violation.

Thank you for submitting a report to us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.