1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to stop imposters from abusing my account ?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by PataPon, Aug 23, 2015.

1. PataPon

PataPon Donator - Tier IV

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:18219
    Hello all ,

Recently I am encountering a huge wave of imposters , I dont know what I did or post that attracted their attention towards my profile.

I have many people coming to me , warning me about imposters and many others blaming me that I scammed them , even thou I had a very large warning message on my wall with ways to differentiate the real me from any imposters for weeks ! , some newbies are still being tricked and falling to the scammers traps , I dont blame them , they are just noobs with not enough awareness that anything like that could happen.

Here is the warning message on my profile , read it by visiting my steam profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hamouri/

What upsets me the most is being worried that noobs falling into imposters traps are probably reporting me for nothing. I am worried if maybe one day Alot of people report me without knowing that I am not the person who scammed them and end up with a automatic trade ban or worse.

what also upsets me is being forced to private my inventory as I was always against that idea , but due to huge amount of imposters tricking noobs with drag and drop chat tricks from my what used to be a public inventory , after that I had no options left but to private my inventory so imposters cannot use it as if it is their own.

I am wondering if there is a way , to set my inventory to public as it used to be , and yet have no imposters playing with it. is there a way that I can forbid specific person from viewing my profile ? because its easy to spot the imposters and block them , but still blocking is not enough as they are still able to see your inventory and drag and drop from it as they wish.

I posted a report to all the imposters of me so far, I hope they get marked soon , anything to raise awareness would be good.

here is a link to the report:

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198118218320-dota2-dota2-items.108927/

am open to any ideas and tips.

Thank you
    PataPon
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, you have a old account, SR's tier 4 donator, but low steam level. You do make your account pretty distinct by having 1900 games and showing off the 11 year old badge.

On the imposters, if one impersonates a SR/Partner admin, those are banned on sight by us. On others, when reported it must show intend (linking to your profile, claiming your reputation, etc. in order to get someone else to go first. This makes the reporting of imposters of traders/profiles in almost all cases the business of those that where attempted the impersonation on (successful or not).
  3. PataPon

Steam:
    appreciate you reply , as you can see , am an old steam user ( am actually pretty old ) , with a very high value steam account , I see with imposters are doing this , they think they can trick people by using a very trusted and known person between the dota community and steam community in general. It just pains me to have to hide all this glory in my inventory to avoid other innocent steam users of being scammed , I wish I could do something about it. Any suggestion on what should I do ? what if I return my profile to public and more people get scammed through my inventory ? Did I do enough to protect my self from a trade ban or worse ? from your experience , would valve/steam listen to me if I got an unfortunate trade ban for example ? what do you think ? is there anything else I can do ? Thanks
  4. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Nothing you do will compensate for the idiots who get fooled by impersonators. In my experience, such warnings like yours do little to nothing as an impersonator simply copies the format of your steam profile and replaces your info with their accounts info. Also everyone with a warning = desensitizes the warning in general

Also like to note:
    1. You use a custom url (and even an SR search link???) instead of a profiles ID64 link for SR and steam.
    2. As for setting your inventory to private, its counter productive and sounds exactly like something a scammer would say on their fake profile to fool users.

The amount of games you have is probably the best indicator I see your account has. Other examples are very rare (time limited or explicitly granted) profile badges such as golden potato/houwar/holiday 2014 profile badge.
    Only secondly, account age (scammers often buy older accounts to look more legit) and steam profile levels (we have seen some impersonators level up an account to level 100 to match a legitimate users profile)
    Lava likes this.
  5. PataPon

Steam:

hello , I did not understand fully your note number one , can you please explain more , as for note number 2 , do you suggest I change my inventory to public and not care about the people that get scammed ? what if people who get scammed report me constantly thinking i was the one who scammed them ? wouldn't that put my account at risk ? thanks for your reply anyway
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    He meant the link on your profile, you use your custom URL instead of the ID64:
    [​IMG]
    instead of: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197960302167

The font Steam uses, is quite bad with spacing, for instance "rn" looks a lot like a "m" etc. Removing ambiguity is a strong point.

I'm more for telling people HOW to check a profile on steamrep instead of linking them directly... for everybody can link to your SteamRep profile...

Also, why link on your own steam profile to your steam profile???
    [​IMG]

Listing specifics on your own profile... they will just copy it, adapt it to their "numbers" and such (if they even edit it). Listing specifics is useful elsewhere, where you can't directly link your account etc.
  7. PataPon

Steam:

Hello guys , Fixed the link to ID64 instead of custom link.

I have a link of my own Steam profile ID because I want people to click on it and figure that they are not talking to the real me , if they click on it , they would know for example that am not on their friends list ! therefore they are talking to the wrong person ... I think its important for the Steam ID to be there. as there can only be one custom Steam ID.
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    oh, and the impersonators will just links it to themselves ?
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Wanna bet? If they buy cards to level a throwaway up past 100, which quite a few scammers do, they are probably willing and able to buy a $3 background. $3 to look legit when stealing hundreds or thousands? Sounds like a bargain. Almost looks like a challenge.
    You wouldn't believe how many scammers buy donator status on SteamRep and other places. We try to filter them out but there's ultimately no way to prevent that. A few of them who don't get refunded right away end up marked a few months after the fact, and without fail they assert they're reputable and trustworthy because of their donator status. Also friendly reminder, donator status is not reputation. Please don't use it that way, and please don't perpetuate that myth.
    Impersonators will just change that link if they feel it's necessary; in practice though few victims susceptible to impersonation will read it.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/what-constitutes-reputation.12391
    Lots of scammers farm this from alts to appear legit, and there's no real oversight or transparency in that system. Usually I see people with a lot of positive comments on steamgifts.com or some site like that impersonated, linking to their feedback trees. So many people misplace trust in that, I could see scammers targeting you for impersonation because of that number, but then again fake reputation on *lounge and profile comments is so widespread it almost seems not worth it for a scammer to impersonate you over.
    Just makes it easier for a scammer. They like private backpacks to cover their tracks with. Owning a valuable item is not really reputation or proof of identity, so that isn't helping.

Ultimately there's little if anything you can do about people impersonating you, sadly. When you find it, report their Steam profile for impersonation. If someone reports you here for impersonation, reply in the report with screenshots of your trade history from the time of the alleged scam, and point out you're getting impersonated.

Links on your profile don't help, if anything they make it worse because scammers will copy your profile and adjust the links to fit their needs. Custom URLs are especially susceptible to being intentionally and subtly misspelled to look legit and point to a fake. Personally, I'd recommend having absolutely no links, and discouraging anyone from following links on profiles or in Steam chat. Instead give instructions to verify (e.g. check whether there's "add friend" or "send message" button, copy page URL into steamrep.com, etc.). More than likely an impersonation victim won't even read that though, sadly.
  10. PataPon

Steam:
    Thanks alot for your very long very detailed reply , it means alot that you actually went throu my profile and read it all.

I agree with almost everything you said , therefore , I will remove any links on my warning message .. wither it was a link to my steam profile page or a link to steamrep page , and I had no idea that there are scammers who donate to steamrep , I was just trying to differentiate my self from those people , was not planning to start any myth :) therefore , I will remove my steamrep link and remove the wording " Special reputation ".

Dota 2 lounge rep is really hard to reach that level , that is why I have it mentioned , it took thousands of trades to reach this level.

The reason that I have all those points mentioned , such as ( check my d2l rep and other stuff ) , is because I have so many things that would really make it a tough job for an impostor to impersonate me .. It is true .. Dota2Lounge rep means nothing .. and any impostor can reach that level .. but amount of work and dedication that he will have to put into this will make it (perhaps) not worth it to impersonate me .. And anything that I could do to keep those suckers away from me , I will do it.

regarding the suggested "instructions" to verify ( without links ) , do you have a template or a ready warning that I could use on my wall aswell ? It would save me alot of time writing the guide.

So ultimately , you suggest I public my inventory again , right ? or should I wait for the wave of impostors to cool off a little bit ?
  11. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I don't have a template. Basically just think about it from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about Steam, and what you want them to look at. One thing that sticks out to me, is if linked to your profile they should check if this identical-looking profile is actually the one on their friend list, hence the add/message button. I put instructions for verifying me on my own Steam profile, you're welcome to use/modify that as long as you leave out the part about being a SteamRep admin and such. There are probably other things I'm not thinking of, but if you're dealing with impersonators you're best bet is to keep it short and simple; they are known for not reading.

I can't tell you what privacy settings to use, that's your choice. Having a private inventory does nothing to curb impersonators, and if anything helps them. I'll admit linking someone else's items is a new one on me, but a private backpack makes you seem less legit, and if they're copying your profile it gives them an excuse to have a private inventory themself. Also, it might get you banned on a few sites/servers.

If you want to, you can point out things about your profile which make it unique, that a scammer cannot copy, perhaps feature a rare badge that is no longer obtainable. However, anyone who might take notice of that is probably going to be paying enough attention to double check they're dealing with the real you, and the people who fall for impersonators will skip over it.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  12. PataPon

Steam:
    Hey Lava ,

Thanks again for the replies , well , I rather keep you out of all this , in order to keep things as short as possible.

I have modified the warning , again . removed all links as suggested and added a small guide lines to check me out on steamrep and what to expect there.

I wish I had a rare ( no longer obtainable) badge , but I do not think I do.

and I agree with you regarding private inventories , I think I will just wait for a couple more days until the wave cools off .. and it has ! there were 8 imposters that I know of , now down to 2 , am guessing with in inventory locked .. they could not do much !

after that , its public again !
  13. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Hamouri/badges/23 <--- This is actually a pretty unique badge. It won't change, and obviously the event is over, so it can't be faked very easily.

But if you can't get people to check your ID64 at the very least, then telling them to click your badge page and look for this badge won't help either.
  14. PataPon

Steam:
    Your right , but that was more less a free event , it is not achievable anymore yes , but most people I assume have it. Thanks for the input :)
  15. WarNev3rChanges

WarNev3rChanges New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46250366
    I'm referring to the exact level recorded by the badge. "The real me will have a level 570 monster summer badge." And again -
    TFD_Industries™ likes this.