1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

A fair warning to some competitive CS:GO players.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Taihou, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Taihou

Taihou New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:2799384
    So, I've been noticing a few people adding me on steam with some pretty "trustworthy" profiles asking me to join either a well known competitive game or a fairly normal competitive game.

Well, me being the little scared and isolated kid at the time all new to CSGO competitive games I decided to accept one of the invitations.

I also did a few google searches to see weather or not this is a scam and nothing important or eye grabbing came up.

The player then asked me to join a Teamspeak with him and that the other team players were there, however when attempting to join this message would pop up

[​IMG]

I went to the website and trusted it for a while and even downloaded the file, however this is when I realized it was an attempt to hack both my computer/steam account. Chrome being the good little web browser it is detected the obvious malware and warned me about it.

I then did some more research, and this time using the word "hack" only to find one topic coming up similar to the attempts at hacking I faced which can be seen here:
    So yea, I don't know if this is new and unknown attempt at scamming/hacking or if it's an old and well known way.

But, it almost tricked me.

If you ever see teamspeak, mumble, or any other third party communications platform and it tells you that your client version is outdated, make sure if it really is before downloading their "update".
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    This has been around a while, maybe you should have searched here instead of Google, as well. Since this has literally just been mentioned in another thread.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I like that warning message at the very bottom of the larger TeamSpeak window.
  4. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
  5. prodigyaustralia

prodigyaustralia New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52814116
    Yeah this was tried on me the other day. But with the message say "Portal sound needed"

maybe teamspeak should display the URL in boxes next to it like steam does for non approved links,for example: Update client here: [www.nonsusslink.jpg]

That or the ability to not auto kick/reject someone in the space of 1 second with a popup or server message.
  6. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Or just stick their warning in the same popup window, advising not to click server links.
  7. CoaI

CoaI New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:123643658
    Wow, this is actually a very well thought out scam.. Thanks for the info, I usually never get scammed or hacked, and I think I would've fell for this one.